Can’t Get Any Aspect of VorpX to Work

Homepage Forums Technical Support Can’t Get Any Aspect of VorpX to Work

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robocop
    Participant

I’ve read everything I can find on this site. I’ve read the guide in the VorpX app. I watched the full 55 minute youtube guide. I can’t get VorpX to work on any game. I can’t add custom resolutions as instructed in the VorpX guide (instructions don’t work). Every game I load looks like utter garbage; just pixelated low-res nonsense. For a $33 purchase, I expected it either work or at least have decent support. I am very disappointed in my purchase.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Would be great if you could provide a bit more detailed information about your issue. Difficult to say anything useful otherwise.

If you carefully follow each step in the custom resolution instructions, there sholdn’t much that can go wrong. For nVidia: double check especially the steps 2. and 4. Without doing these you won’t be able to add resolutions. For AMD: keep in mind that the AMD driver does allow to add resolutions higher than your monitor allows.

red
    Participant

Hi. Let’s have a look at what could be going wrong for you. It’s totally worth the effort… vorpX is a phenomenally good program.

Firstly, can I ask what hardware you’re running? Which headset / graphics card etc.

And you’re trying to run which game? From Steam, I suppose?

Let me know and we’ll take it from there.

Robocop
    Participant

I edited my response and now it’s not appearing. Here is a copy in case you can’t see it either:

I did finally get custom resolutions to work.

My system specs:
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core 3700mhz
    MB: X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
    16gb ram
    RX 470 graphics card
    Odyssey+ WMR Headset

Issues I’m having:

1) Blurriness. I can’t read any of the text that appears when I look at the controllers, regardless of “sweet spot” or distance. I can read text fine in Steam Home and in most games, but the control text is illegible.

2) Games become nightmares in VorpX. Both Skyrim and Battlefront 2 (2017) go insane in VorpX with graphical glitches and issues. In Deus Ex, the left lens and right lens don’t display the same things, so it’s like looking at a magic eye puzzle. Shadows, for instance, only appear in the left lens. Even after turning off shadows, enough random textures and effects appear in only one lens that the game is unplayable. Skyrim seemed to have a similar issue, though it was the first game I tried so I didn’t know to check the lens issue. Everything had a copy of itself a few pixels off, like a bad 3d movie, from the mountains and trees to the characters.

3) When I run the scan for headtracking, it usually breaks the game, forcing either a full system reboot or a forced closing of the game. Twice it has altered the resolution of my computer until I had to reboot. In Deus Ex, headtracking will be working ok until I run the scan, and then I can no longer look around the world; the screen moves with the headset. I can only look around with the controllers at that point. When I run the scan, I am not in any menues, I am not near any walls, and I am in full control of my character.

4) Beyond the graphical issues mentioned above, the games just look very pixelated and low-quality. I’ve got Supersampling turned up in Steam as high as my system can handle. I played a bit of Arizona Sunshine and it looked great. But every game I’ve tried in VorpX has just looked awful. I can’t make out any facial details if the character is more than a few feet away. Everything is harsh and jagged.

Ralf
    Keymaster

1) Skyrim does not need any custom resolutions. You can set the resolution as high as you want on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu by choosing a preferred quality. Go for something like 1440p or above for good image quality. Keep an eye on performance though. Higher resolutions cost performance. It’s all about finding the right balance here.

2) If you encounter graphical glitches, try another 3D mode. If currentlly you have sleceted Geometry 3D , try Z3D or vice versa. Make sure to restart the game afterwards, just in case. Z3D doesn’t look as natural, but is a lot faster.

3) Memory scanner: See my reply in your other thread.

4) Do not use supersampling in SteamVR with vorpX! That has (almost) no effect on image quality, but may cost performance. The right way to enhance image quality in vorpX is raising a game’s resolution like you would do when you play a game on your monitor. If vorpX can handle it, you can do that on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu. Whenever that is case, you see an according message in the top left corner of the game window. If vorpX cannot handle it, games usually allow to set the resolution in their options.

Robocop
    Participant

Even with the 1440p custom resolution added in my AMD settings, when I try to set that as my resolution in the VorpX menu, it says it isn’t supported on my system.

I entered a different room and ran the memory scan and it worked. However, the game still looks like a nightmare. All of the edges are jagged and no one has any facial detail if they are more than a few feet away.

Is there anywhere I can find information about customizing the controls? I’m trying to play with a 360 pad but I can’t seem to turn off the VorpX controls, so doing something like clicking the right stick to aim also puts me in cinema mode.

According to the youtube guide, I need to turn off any kind of anti-aliasing. Is that correct?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Some games do not allow mouse and gamepad to be used at the same time. Since vorpX needs to emulate a mouse for head tracking in such cases it overrides the gamepad with its built in gamepad to mouse/keyboard mapper. You can freely configure that to your liking on the input page of the vorpX menu.

There is no general need to turn off AA. Be aware though that ‘modern’ AA techniques like FXAA. TAA etc. blur the image, so in such cases you have to decide what you consider more important. Good old true multi sampling AA (MSAA) can (and should) safely be enabled if available for a game.

Unfortunately AMD graphics cards are less than ideal when it comes to custom resolutions since normally only resolutions as high as your monitor’s native res will work. NVidia GPUs are way better in that regard. There some tools that presumably allow to add resolutions the AMD graphics control panel rejects, but I never tried that. Search for CRU or Custom Resolution Utility. Also make sure to add the resolutions listed in the vorpX Custom Resolutions guide.

btw: please make sure to always read all messages that vorpX shows in the headset.

Minabe
    Participant

Not sure if it works on AMD gpus but you can always try changing resolutions directly from the headset with the tv/monitor off, this way it will show all available native resolutions for your headset.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!