Can't hook Max Payne or Max Payne 2

Homepage Forums Technical Support Can't hook Max Payne or Max Payne 2

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    psyx
    Participant

Just wondering is there anyway to get these games working in Vorpx? I know Max Payne is a DX8 game so there’s no chance of this working right? but when I try Max Payne 2 it doesn’t do anything and it’s a dx9 game. I tried tons of different profiles and no luck. Also tried renaming it to other games but nothing works any hope of these games to work? I would love so much to play these games with a FPS mod in VR with 3d geometry.

psyx
    Participant

So no chance then? I know these games aren’t officially supported but I got other games to work that aren’t supported. Any chance for these classics to get Vorpx support?

stonivr
    Participant

old but gold i there any solution ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You might be able to make them work with dgVoodoo2, which can converts DX7/8 calls to DX11. vorpX has a profile for dgVoodoo2. No guarantee that it will work, but worth a shot.

1. Download and install dgVoodoo2 by copying the right DLL into the game folder (Max Payne 2 is DX8, not sure about MaxPayne 1).
    2. Open the ‘Local Profiles’ page in the vorpX config app.
    3. Make a copy of the dgVoodoo2 profile, keep special shaders
    4. Assign the game’s .exe to your newly created profile

If that works, it would be great if you could share the profile for others in the vorpX cloud. Ideally with short instructions regarding dgVoodoo2 in the description.

stonivr
    Participant

Thank you Ralf i think i get max payne 2 to work its crash when ever i press esc to go back in the game menu, but its work. Its hard to use the vorpx menu i shoot when i press with mouse in vorpx menu or move when i navigate with keyboard keys maybe pause key work. dgVoodoo2 is really interesting profile maybe can i play classic carmageddon 3dfx next is it possible ? I was playing with dgVoodoo2 carmageddon 1, 2 3dfx emulation back in the day.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Definitely worth a try. Can’t really say whether it will work though.

The dgVoodoo2 profile is mainly provided for you guys to experiment with, I’ll test it every now and then with a handful of games to make sure it does what it’s supposed to do, but I can’t really tell which games do work in the end and which may not.

RJK_
    Participant

Ive tried to fix both games before with DGVoodoo, IIRC the first game was only partly 3D and kept crashing. Spend several hours especially with version 2 but alwys ended up with some objects being either 2D or displaced. I think 1st one was DX7, 2nd one definately DX8.Gave up after a while..

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll check them on occasion. Good old Max would deserve to be vorpXed one way or the other. No promises though, making changes to the dgVoodoo2 shader parser is a bit dangerous since that may have unforeseen consequences for games that work fine.

jjensson
    Participant

Yeah, i agree – such a classic like Max Payne 1/2 should be in the VorpX library sooner or later (even if dgVoodoo2 is needed).

Ralf
    Keymaster

I knew it was a mistake to even mention dgVoodoo before I did it… :)

Just a heads-up that the dgVoodoo2 profile is purely there for you to play with it and see what is possible. dgVoodoo2 itself is a moving target from my perspective. I have zero influence on its development, it may fail at any time and there won’t be any “official” support for any dgVoodoo2 games at all.

That said, I re-check the profile from time to time to see whether it still generally works, and maybe (*maybe*!) I’ll add something in the future, but do not expect anything in that regard ever. And even if I do, that will still be considered unsupported as far as I’m concerned.

RJK_
    Participant

Please note, my posting above wasnt meant as a complaint, rather a report that someone had sat down already on those games. With DGVoodoo2 its just the same as other DX9/11 games, we can not get all of them to work and im my eyes its best to leave the parser as it is.

Ralf
    Keymaster

All good, I just had to make as clear as possible that this isn’t officially supported since I failed to do that originally when I suggested dgVoodoo above.

If/when I have some spare time to burn and feel like it, I may look into it, but don’t expect anything. ‘Officially’ supporting an app like dgVoodoo that has to deal with hundreds of games itself would be a can of worms I couldn’t even open if I wanted to unfortnately.

RJK_
    Participant

Couldnt sit still without trying something else ;-)

Max Payne 2

I made a profile through the DX9 fixed function pipeline that is adjusted a bit in an unusual way, but works at least in Z3D, G3D has the same glitches as with DGVoodoo2. I evened out the depth problem for certain objects depending on their distance to the camera (door frames) with a negative “Focal Offset” value. Thats why i suggest to play the game in Cinema Modes, though Full VR is also working.
    See here for more details:

Max Payne 2 (D3D8to9)

RJK_
    Participant

Surpise surprise, thats how things change sometimes, i was able to get the latest steam version of Max Payne 1 to run in 3D with VorpX, the retail game was notoroiusly crashing here, see details here: https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/max-payne-d3d8to9/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!