Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kampinisu
    Participant

Hello! Oculus shipping is around the corner and i think i can finally fulfill my long dream about experiencing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in VR. I have waited this since 2008. I ordered the freaking Trimersion back in days because i didn’t know any better back then.

So anybody knows how well this game is working with VorpX? Anybody have the game and can test it with VorpX 0.9? That game is just freaking amazing and it goes to “you need to play it” -category.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game has both 3D methods in vorpX (fast Z3D, and more natural but slower G3D), full head tracking and – while still looking quite awesome – due to its age is fast enough to reach full 75fps in G3D without issues on a normal gaming PC. So all in all it’s a pretty good fit for VR.

yaglourt
    Participant

I was also always interested to play this game in VR. Are there any tweaks to make it playable (FOV, HUD…) ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Set the game to the default res (1920×1080) with the highest FOV it allows and and then use the vorpX ImageZoom (display page of the ingame menu) until the FOV feels right.

This is a general method which you can use to make almost any game playable that does not allow to set the FOV high enough. May introduce visible top/bottom bars if the game only allows a rather narrow FOV itself.

Advanced tip: depending on how a game creates its widescreen modes using a 4:3 res may eliminate/reduce these bars. So trying both a widescreen and 4:3 res is a good idea.

For the HUD you can use the EdgePeek function (middle mouse button) if a game does not support a scalable HUD.

iankemp
    Participant

Hello! Oculus shipping is around the corner and i think i can finally fulfill my long dream about experiencing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in VR. I have waited this since 2008. I ordered the freaking Trimersion back in days because i didn’t know any better back then.

So anybody knows how well this game is working with VorpX? Anybody have the game and can test it with VorpX 0.9? That game is just freaking amazing and it goes to “you need to play it” -category.

This game works great in geometry 3D. My settings:
    Steam Start Options: -console
    and paste in console:
    bind “w” “+forward;sv_cheats 1;fov 120;viewmodel_fov 120”

because bow zoom resets fov

Pixel Ratio 1:1 in VorpX

You can’t see the HUD, but its playable.

iankemp
    Participant

Strike this from the list of good VorpX titles. The FOV settings only work in the tutorial and after it FOV commands only change the view to the player model, hands weapons etc. but not the world. too bad

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can use the vorpX ImageZoom to compensate for FOV like described above. Works quite well as the game’s original FOV isn’t too low. After seeing this thread, and since I really liked the game when it came out, I played it quite a while myself this weekend. It’s a very good fit for VR and definitely deserved to be a lot more successful than it actually was.

BTW: While being at it I added HUD scaling and recalibrated the 3d strength to a better default value. Will be available with the next vorpX version.

iankemp
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a good game and nice 3D with geometry, but its so sad to set it up nearly perfect in tutorial and after it only with compromise.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Use a 16:10 res if possible (e.g. 1920×1200). With that the top/bottom bars after using the ImageZoom are small enough to be entirely forgotten within minutes while playing. Not playing this one because of such a minor quirk is a crime.

yaglourt
    Participant

BTW: While being at it I added HUD scaling and recalibrated the 3d strength to a better default value. Will be available with the next vorpX version.

Great news, this game deserve it indeed.

(makes me think that HUD scaling for GTA V would be great also, the HUD mod doesn’t display the minimap with the VR mod))

CylonSurfer
    Participant

“(makes me think that HUD scaling for GTA V would be great also, the HUD mod doesn’t display the minimap with the VR mod)”

That’s correct and I don’t plan on updating GTAVR HUD compatibility until the view-able player character body and in vehicle hands / arms are put back in the GTA VR Mod. I didn’t notice too big a performance leap by using a non 16:9 aspect ratio in GTA V either, so another reason why I left it.

Nothing to stop you playing with the settings in my mod though, I found the game to be very picky and crash when certain values were used – so it can be tuff to figure out what works best. If you find some working settings please post them in the comments section of my mod and I’ll credit you.

If i do ever update my HUD mod I’ll script something that is adjustable via an in game menu but to be honest I didn’t find the GTA modding scene to be the friendliest bunch of people either so it isn’t the most enticing project I have on the burner.

yaglourt
    Participant

Hi CylonSurfer !
    Sorry I already asked you on nexusmod, but don’t you prefer good headtracking over visible body ?

If you find some working settings please post them in the comments section of my mod

Yes, I will tinker a bit with frontend.xml (problem of tinkering this game is it’s awfully long to load, even on fast SSD. But you know very well…).

yaglourt
    Participant

Hey Ralf, I have a dumb question :
    How can I set the game to 1080p when my current monitor is only limited to 1280*1024 ? I tried the “-width 1920 -height 1080” line but no chance. Ingame I’m limited to 1280*1024.

JacobVR
    Participant

The FOV settings only work in the tutorial and after it FOV commands only change the view to the player model, hands weapons etc. but not the world.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can use the vorpX ImageZoom (image page of the vorpX ingame menu or [SHIFT][MOUSEWHEEL]) to compensate for FOV like described further above. Works quite well as the game’s original FOV is relatively high. The top/bottom bars introduced by the ImageZoom are small enough here to be entirely forgotten within minutes while playing.

You can do this as a quick and easy FOV fix in almost any game BTW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!