Depth buffer detection modifications

Homepage Forums Technical Support Depth buffer detection modifications

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Smoils
    Participant

An issue with vorpx Im having very often is trying to make profiles for games and cycling through all kinds of other profiles with half of them hooking but not even having z3d working because depth buffer is plain.

Now if I was only trying vorpx I would think that “oh well I guess game cant work in 3d with any profile”, but trying some other unnamed software I can see that same problem persist – with everything on default game shows empty depth buffer, but a certain application has this amazing feature:

Basically you can cycle through all suspected data in memory that appears to be depth buffer and usually it just works if you switch through those suspects. Plus there are further sliders that can help fish depth buffer data out if it appears empty.

What Im trying to say is G3D in vorpx has cool shader adjustment menu as advanced setting, for Z3D we have nothing but I just know a working Z3D profile is often 1 step away and I dont want to use other software since vorpx is much better in so many aspects. It feels like such a wasted opportunity for Z3D, instead of trying a million other profiles it should be finding just 1 that hooks and then have some advanced options to fish out the depth buffer.

Im at a point where its starting to become an issue since more and more games I try to make work with simple z3d solution have none working.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX has WAY more complex heuristics and options to detect and process a depth buffer. It can even process cases where devs encoded depth into integer RGB and other weird stuff (that was mostly used in the past). Unfortunately all that makes Z3D authoring fairly convoluted. Some options require a game restart, others don’t, some only work with specific APIs and so on. Maybe at some point I have enough time to wrap that into something more user friendly, but don’t count on it for the near future.

Long story short: Z3D authoring is way too convoluted in its current state to make it available publically.

Smoils
    Participant

vorpX has WAY more complex heuristics and options to detect and process a depth buffer. It can even process cases where devs encoded depth into integer RGB and other weird stuff (that was mostly used in the past). Unfortunately all that makes Z3D authoring fairly convoluted. Some options require a game restart, others don’t, some only work with specific APIs and so on. Maybe at some point I have enough time to wrap that into something more user friendly, but don’t count on it for the near future.

Long story short: Z3D authoring is way too convoluted in its current state to make it available publically.

I am saddened to hear that, but I understand how it can be like that.

jjensson
    Participant

This might be an unpopular opinion, but i love Z3D, and prefer it to G3D (except for older games). There are good reasons for that, but i try to be short here.

Since VorpX often lacks good Z3D profiles for more unpopular games, and instead includes G3D with missing shadows and other shaders, i almost gave up, and went back to flat gaming for a while.

Now i’m back, because i discovered another alternative that works with most games, and looks great (not HelixVision, which is quite limited). *Superdepth3D* is a free ReShade plugin with a big community behind it, and after using it i can say it works very well. A bit less clean than VorpX, and worse FPS performance, but all the settings are exposed, and there are many of them. :)

Ralf, i hope that it’s OK to mention other software here. I talk about this, because i want to raise awareness that if VorpX doesn’t support a game, it’s not the end of the world. You don’t have to play it flat, or even completely give up on a game. There are other ways to play it in Stereo3D, not as user friendly but they work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The vorpX forum is for vorpX support. It’s neither a general VR/3D chat nor an advertising platform. I maintain these forums on the very same time budget that is spent on my actual work, so my tolerance in respect to off-topic stuff and promotion isn’t the highest in the world TBH. Doubly so in cases like Scorn where a working vorpX profile obviously exists. Thanks for your understanding.

jjensson
    Participant

Yes, i fully understand. I didn’t realize i’m in the technical support forum. I’ll try to keep these things to a minimum in the other forums as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!