Desktop Viewer doesn’t work

Homepage Forums Technical Support Desktop Viewer doesn’t work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    brotherofbuff
    Participant

I seen many different answers to Desktop Viewer not working like turning off anti virus , making sure you disable intel graphics card on laptops, clicking desktop viewer directly from the monitor. I’m using Oculus Quest 2. I’m able to play games but I can’t access Desktop Viewer.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you use any kind of multi GPU system, be it a gaming laptop or two GPUs in a desktop PC, you have to make sure the headset is connected to the same GPU that the desktop is running on. In case of gaming laptops that might not be possible to ensure 100% safely unless the integrated GPU can be disabled in the BIOS.

Unlikely to be the issue these days, but just in case: the desktop viewer requires Windows 8.1 or newer. It does not work on Windows 7 or Windows 8.0.

brotherofbuff
    Participant

It doesn’t look like my BIOs has the option. I am using Republic of Gamers. On Advanced options only graphic option is graphic configuration which only ask about DVMT Pre Allocated.

Any suggestions?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you can’t fully disable the integrated GPU, the vorpX desktop viewer won’t work for you, sorry. Not really an issue these days since as far as I’m aware all major headset runtimes (Oculus, WMR, SteamVR) have a dektop viewer built-in. Apart from having different environment scenes those should provide similar functionality.

brotherofbuff
    Participant

I disagree, the main appeal of VOrpx viewer is the ability to watch 3D movies. It looks like it may have more advance options than watching 3D movies on Big Screen which 3D looks too flat.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You don’t need the desktop viewer for watching 3D movies. That’s actually not even the best way to do that. vorpX comes with dedicated profiles for the free MPC-HC and VLC video players.

Watching movies with the desktop viewer is inferior to using the video player profiles since it involves an additional image scaling operation as well es an additional frame rate conversion (movie > desktop > headset), instead of just movie > headset with the dedicated video player profiles.

brotherofbuff
    Participant

Wow thanks for the info . So I guess I’m not in a bad place not being able to use your desktop viewer.

brotherofbuff
    Participant

I thought that was the only to use VLC cause I couldn’t get it to hook properly I think because I didn’t see any 3D effect using directly with the Oculus link desktop viewer. I’ll try again today.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try MPC-HC if VLC doesn’t do the trick.

Caveat: similarly to the desktop viewer you will have to make sure that the video players run on your dedicated GPU. That should be easier than forcing the desktop to the dedicated GPU though. Most gaming laptops come with some app that allows you to force a program to the dedicated GPU.

Boblekobold
    Participant

There is a minor problem with the Desktop Viewer. After using it (and while using it), Desktop view from WMR doesn’t work.

I’m pretty sure it was working a few weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!