DGVoodoo2 Profile whats that ?

Homepage Forums Technical Support DGVoodoo2 Profile whats that ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Hello, i found a dgVoodoo2 local Profile on the newest VorpX. Under assigned programs i read lithtech.exe.

What does that mean ? What has lithtech to do with dgVoodoo and why is there a local profile called dgVoodoo2 if dgvoodoo 2 doesnt work with vorpX.

The only explanation a have for this is that i ran a game which used lithtech.exe with dgVoodoo2 and VopX automaticly wrote this profile.

RJ

Ralf
    Keymaster

A leftover experiment that shouldn’t have been in the release version, sorry for the confusion. The profile does not provide any 3D. My assumption is that dgVoodoo only uses DirectX for rasterization not for the actual geometry transform, which would make sense since that is how earlier 3D APIs worked. Provided my theory is correct, there is no way for vorpX to provide stereo 3D with dgVoodoo.

TLDR: If you want, you can use that profile and assign other programs for use with dgVoodoo, but there won’t be any stereo 3D.

RJK_
    Participant

This is sad .-(

Can this not be wrapped?
    3D Vision works just great with any old game that dgvoodoo can wrap.

Did you talk to dege about this ? I had contact with him before and he seems a is quite helpful guy.

i do not know much about vr programming yet but couldnt this be solved through opengl or a reversed “warp” somehow ? – a rasterisation-geometry wrapper or something ? Too many questions, plaese dont blame me for that. I am dreaming of those old games to work ;-)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’d really like to get this working too and will take another stab at it some time, but I’m not overly confident. nVidia has the obvious advantage of, well, being nVidia. They can do things directly on the GPU driver level that noone else can do.

RJK_
    Participant
    RJK_
    Participant

Providing a DGVoodoo hook at least in mono could help in some cases like yesterday i played dungeon keeper 1 through dosbox. For this game there is an update d3d101 for DX/and/or 3DFX which can not be used with Dosbox because its a windows exetutable. I remember playing that update with great image quality through a voodoo card.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Semi good news for you: having a few hours to burn I fumbled around with dgVoodoo2 and the latest vorpX dev build a bit more last week and was able to get two games working with 3D: Gothic and Gothic 2 (both DX 7 I think). However, still no 3D in most other cases, namely the actual Glide games I tried.

Please understand that this can’t be a priority. While experimenting with very old games is a lot of fun, it’s not what the majority of users expects from vorpX, so I can only spend time on something like that every now and then in my spare time.

With the next vorpX version the dgVoodoo2 profile will be included semi-oficially, so you can use it as a base for custom profiles. Don’t expect too much though. Judging from my tests last week you will get 3D only in a few cases, most dgVoodoo2 games will display in 2D though.

RJK_
    Participant

WOW Ralf, for me these are REAL good news !

I ve been developing some software for the past 20? years, oh my goodness, and i know how difficult and time consuming some things can get. I did not expect this and – nice belated easter egg. Dont worry i will not expect anything but I will definately get into it when availiable.

Ralf
    Keymaster

A few more tests, this is what you can expect: 3D: many DX7/8 games, no 3D: DX6 and below, Glide.

Also no good general way to separate HUD/shadows without breaking other things in many cases (or entire games). Would have to be done on a game to game basis and would still not be possible for every game due to shaders usually being re-used for multiple things by dgVoodoo.

Still quite nice to play around with a few DX7/8 games. You’ll probably like it.

Demosthenes
    Participant

You mentioned Gothic 2. There is now a DX11 renderer available for it. maybe that would make a profile easier?

https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1456102-D3D11-Renderer-f%C3%BCr-Gothic-2-%28alpha%29-18

and more info:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636014226

As I go through my games library looking for vorpx candidates, it’s sad to have to pass on the dx7/8 ones, so it’s great news that some of them might work. Thanks for taking the time to look at them.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Gothic/Gothic II work fairly well with the dgVoodoo renderer.

The problem with user made mods is that their creators fairly often break/change things, which in turn can easily break vorpX profiles. Maintining a profile for a mod of a 15 year old game that not too many people are interested in anymore is just not feasible, sorry.

dgVoodoo is a bit special in this regard since it provides access to multiple games, which justifies investing a bit of time. However, please still understand the dgVoodoo profile as a little bonus for those interested in trying some old games. That’s what it is, nothing more.

RJK_
    Participant

Cant wait too see that !

Theres a huge number of games using DX8 like the Unreal 2 Engine for example. Many others claim to run on DX9 but they dont. This will widen the range of games that can be played enomeously !

Thanks Ralf that you took some time for this.

RJK_
    Participant

Does the 18.1.5 already contain the dgvoodoo hook, and if so, how would i use it ? Do i need to make a separate profile for each game with adding the exe to it or would VorpX recognize dgvoodoo automaticly through the inbuilt local profile ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

18.1.5 is a maintenance release that mainly addresses an issue with the installer that was too important to wait until the next actual update. 18.2, which will include the dgVooodoo profile, is still being worked on and scheduled late April/early May.

Separate profiles for each dgVoodoo game make a lot of sense since most won’t work best with the default settings. Games are too different to provide a profile that works best with one single set of settings. You usually will want to adjust the play style, tracking sensitivity, 3d-strength and FOV-related settings like image zoom or the 3d-fov-enhancement per game for example. That’s also the main reason why the dgVoodoo profile is dubbed semi-official.

From time to time I might add one or the other game specific dgVoodoo profile with added benefits like Direct VR myself for games that were highly popular back then, but for the most part actual dgVoodoo game profiles will be left to users.

RJK_
    Participant

Thank you for the Info.

From time to time I might add one or the other game specific dgVoodoo profile with added benefits like Direct VR myself for games that were highly popular back then,

I definatley will add some profiles to the cloud too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!