Did DX12 support for SOTTR go away?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Did DX12 support for SOTTR go away?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ticklywizard
    Participant

Today when I’m setting DX12 in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the setting doesn’t stick. If I disable “change program settings” in DirectVR tab then the next launch of SOTTR crashes as VorpX attempts to hook it.

… this was the behaviour of Vorpx prior to the 20.1.1 release..

Has a new SteamVR release broken this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For now it’s DX11 again. Due to the recent Steam overlay changes DX12 in general only works with SteamVR currently. To avoid additional friction for Oculus users, who would have to switch to SteamVR for the game, DX12 for the time being is limited to games where no other option exists.

I’m reasonably confident that you don’t really miss anything. I checked three different locations in DX11/12 before switching the game back to DX11 without noticing substantial differences.

A new DX12 backend that works natively with Oculus again will be available later this year.

Ticklywizard
    Participant

The fix for steam continually updating broke DX12 oculus support?

It’s frustrating that valve keeps tweaking steamvr overlay – like who cares?

Fwiw it’s outdoor locations (such as the hidden city) where the draw distance is far away, like the mountains, that DX12 really helped with framerate in SOTTR.

But I understand your decision – it’s the only one that makes sense whilst games can only run under their official profile.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX can’t fully block the Steam overlay anymore since a recent Steam update and for some reason the combination DX12, Oculus native and Steam overlay loaded (even if it’s disabled) doesn’t work.

Later this year, with a new DX12 backend, you will get DX12 SOTTR back.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!