DirectVR Mouse Sensitivity – adjustable?

Homepage Forums Technical Support DirectVR Mouse Sensitivity – adjustable?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RAGEdemon
    Blocked

Hi guys,

So my limited understanding is that DirectVR mode intercepts, augments, and injects all mouse data directly into the game to emulate head tracking.

I works pretty well, but a problem I have encountered is that a user is then unable to adjust their mouse sensitivity in game, because in-game mouse sensitivity settings become useless.

Is there a way to change mouse sensitivity?

I have had limited success with switching hardware DPI on my mouse to compensate. The problem with this is that I have to bring it down from 6500 DPI for 360 degrees to ~500 DPI for 360 degrees.

Of course the problem with this approach is that at such low DPI, the granularity of the mouse movement becomes all too apparent, i.e. the movement is ~5 pixels per the smallest mouse movement increment. This manifests itself in-game as constant choppy stutter when looking around with the mouse, though of course, strafing is perfectly smooth when there is no mouse input.

What is needed is to capture the full DPI of a mouse and pass that to the game while allowing a sensitivity slider under VorpX. The slider would have to take into account the full mouse sensitivity, not just divide the incoming sensitivity by x, thereby reducing the granularity. Better yet – make vorpX allow adjusting mouse sensitivity natively within the game again.

I hope I am making sense. Maybe such a setting exists already and I am just unaware of it?

In comparison, when not in VR Direct mode, e.g. using immersive screen, in-game mouse sensitivity settings work fine, and take high mouse DPI into account, allowing the smallest mouse increment to be a sub pixel, and making mouse look perfectly smooth, just as it would be outside VR.

Kind regards,
    — Shahzad

Ralf
    Keymaster

DirectVR head tracking writes head tracking data directly into a game’s memory addresses for camera rotation. This does not affect the mouse normally.

Only in a few rare cases unfortunately doing so creates a conflict with mouse input (Portal 2 and a few other Source engine games IIRC). In these rare cases the mouse sensitivity is hard coded with DirectVR head tracking.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!