Disabling auto re-center.

Homepage Forums Technical Support Disabling auto re-center.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eola667
    Participant

Hi, sorry for bothering you. Is there a way to disable the full VR screen from auto-centering if I start to walk around the room or towards something? I want to get as close to objects as I can but the auto-reset is preventing me from doing so effectively.

Minabe
    Participant

Sounds like you have artificial controls enabled, what headset are you using? On a WMR headset, if enabled, it tends to have conflicts with games since they have their own controls and since they’re not synchronized the game thinks you are out of bounds from your character and resets your position when you move too far from where the game thinks you should be.

Not sure if that’s what’s happening bc vorpX never auto re-centers afaik, there is a hotkey for re-centering but no auto feature.

Eola667
    Participant

I’m using an HTC Vive and an Unreal engine 3 game. The geometry is perfect and the objects (like characters) are rendered completely 3D themselves, the problem is that if I move too far off center Vorpx auto-resets my screen and the message “Head tracking re-centered, stay in place to avoid” shows up, this also resets my current position in the 3d world and the camera. This is what I want to disable in order to be able to walk around the space Vorpx renders, even if I get into a black hole if I move too far off bounds xD

Edit: to clarify a bit more, this happens when I physically move around the room, not ingame. In this case what I’d want is to leave the game be and physically move to the 3D objects rendered by Vorpx in VR, without my position/camera resetting.

Minabe
    Participant

So it is what i described, just from a different source. Never happened to me with vorpX though, only in VR games but i guess vorpX uses the same error fixing technique. Let’s wait for Ralf to clarify when and how it happens.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The standard Geometry 3D positional tracking only works well within a certain radius, since it does not change the actual game camera position, but is applied later. You have about 0.8 meters in every direction, which is as much as makes sense. If your visual position gets too far away from the position the game uses internally, various issues arise. Hence the reset whenever you leave the predefined radius.

Consider the standard G3D positional tracking good for playing standing in place with the option to duck, peek around corners etc, it’s not meant for walking around. IIRC there is a notification shown on each start in that regard. Only in games with DirectVR positional tracking the actual game camera position is changed. In these games you have a larger radius to walk around.

Eola667
    Participant

I see, thanks for the answer Ralf, I’ll try to find a profile that can scan DirectVR in this game, and test if it works.

Edit: Though I must admit, I’m curious about the issues that arise if the auto-reset wasn’t in place, would be interesting to test out if it was toggleable.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can trust me that this limitation was introduced for good reason. Typical problems are: 1. The head tracking rotation being completely out of whack when you go too far in games with mouse based rotation. 2. You not being able to go through doors since while you think you stand in front of the door, the game thinks you are standing 2m left/right of it. 3. You falling off an edge because while you think it’s 2m in front of you, for the game you already reached it. 4. You not being able to talk to or hit/shoot an NPC for the same reason. 5. A plethora of other glitchy things that may happen when visially you aren’t where the game thinks you are.

Eola667
    Participant

Hahaha, sounds quite fun to be honest. If one wants to play the game as it was meant to be played it’s a no go. In my case it would still be useful though since the only thing I want to do is spectate the vorpx rendering (as in, leave the player character there, without interacting with the game at all and just look at the pieces of 3D vorpx manages to render after the ingame camera); when I border the reset limits I do get a weird acceleration and parts of the environment squish up, but I can get near the object of interest or go through the floor for clipping fun, my main purpose is just observing regardless of glitches, whenever I need to interact I do alt+space again if vorpx didn’t reset me previously.

Up to now I’ve been trying to strategically position the camera to ‘box in’ the area I want to look at, but it’s very difficult to do, without the auto reset it would be easy as pie with some adjustments to compensate; I sent an email for advanced profile authoring as well, maybe there are settings there that let me adjust the perspective to not need to move around too much, though the thought of just rushing into the bounds without protection is… alluring.

Minabe
    Participant

It can be used to reach places not intended to be available. In “The Forest” i could only walk in the same plane so when going uphill i ended up clipping through the textures and could see anything under the floor, if there was anything anyway… i did saw a canyon really far away but couldn’t even get there bc the more i walked towards it the more glitchy movement became, to the point the animations slowed down and i couldn’t even move towards it anymore, i guess i got too far away from the origin.

This with forced artificial locomotion ofc.

Eola667
    Participant

That sounds exactly like what I want to do, I’m awaiting the key for advanced authoring now, I hope the mail didn’t get bugged.

Edit: support replied, thanks for the info. Since the button for the key is still available I thought there were even more in-depth settings apart from the G3D authoring checkbox xD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!