Disabling Xbox controller in VorpX

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Disabling Xbox controller in VorpX

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

How do I completely disable the Xbox controller in VorpX? After pressing delete and setting controller emulation to none, my Xbox controller is still being used by VorpX to do things I do not want. I am having an issue where when I crouch in New Vegas, VorpX constant pops up the virtual button mapping menu and beeps. It’s pretty distracting.

I want to completely disable the Xbox controller in VorpX and use New Vegas’s own Xbox implementation since it doesn’t seem to conflict with the DirectVR head tracking.

Also has anyone noticed a change in performance of VorpX after SteamVR changed how it handles Async reprojection? It seems like it’s a bit worse than before. I’m noticing more reprojection and it seems most visible when my weapon is out.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX normally switches to the native X-Box controller mode after Direct VR is enabled.

The whole reason for the gamepad emulation is that in some games, Fallout games included, mouse and gamepad can’t be used together. That’s not issue with Direct VR though since in that case vorpX doesn’t need the mouse for headtracking and consequently the gamepad emulation is disabled.

With one exception: if Touch/Vive controllers are detected and set to keyboard/mouse mode, this auto disabling gets overridden. Maybe that is happening for you.

Please try to either disable Vive/Touch controllers or set them to X-Box controller mode in the vorpX menu. This way Direct VR should always disable the gamepad emulation, regardless whether Touch/Vive controllers are detected or not.

Quite an odd issue you are experiencing though: did you maybe change the vorpX menu shortcut to the same key that you have bound to crouch in New Vegas? Just a guess, but sounds like the most reasonable explanation to me.

markbradley1982
    Participant

vorpX normally switches to the native X-Box controller mode after Direct VR is enabled.

The whole reason for the gamepad emulation is that in some games, Fallout games included, mouse and gamepad can’t be used together. That’s not issue with Direct VR though since in that case vorpX doesn’t need the mouse for headtracking and consequently the gamepad emulation is disabled.

With one exception: if Touch/Vive controllers are detected and set to keyboard/mouse mode, this auto disabling gets overridden. Maybe that is happening for you.

Please try to either disable Vive/Touch controllers or set them to X-Box controller mode in the vorpX menu. This way Direct VR should always disable the gamepad emulation, regardless whether Touch/Vive controllers are detected or not.

Quite an odd issue you are experiencing though: did you maybe change the vorpX menu shortcut to the same key that you have bound to crouch in New Vegas? Just a guess, but sounds like the most reasonable explanation to me.

I tried disabling the Vive/Touch controllers completely, but VorpX stuff still pops up when I press certain buttons in my xbox controller.

Also just for an FYI I need to do the DirectVR scan first before enabling Xbox support within New Vegas otherwise the scan will fail.

I didn’t change the VorpX menu shortcuts at all.

Do you have any thoughts like Valve’s latest async reprojection updates? Supposedly the async updates help with some Oculus games like Lone Echo if you use Revive (which I do also use), but I found that it seems to cause more reprojection with VorpX at least in New Vegas than before.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please try to reset the New Vegas profile to default or even try a full factory reset (both on the trouble shoot page of the vorpX config app).

By pure conicidence I just checked New Vegas a few days ago because of something unrelated. I’m 100% positive that under normal circumstances the gamepad emulation behaves like described above. You also shouldn’t have to disable the X-Box controller to run the Direct VR scan. All that is supposed to happen automatically.

IIRC there was some glitch in that regard in the very first version with Direct VR, but that was fixed long ago. To be sure check whether you are running 17.2.3.

No thoughts on the the latest Valve reprojection updates yet, but from what I read it now works more like Oculus always did, which would be a good thing.

markbradley1982
    Participant

I am running 17.2.3. I don’t really consider it a big deal to do a DirectVR scan before enabling the xbox controller in new vegas, but I will try doing a reset to see if that fixes it.

I have managed to get a pretty satisfactory standing mode setup for new vegas. Previously I played it sitting with a mouse and keyboard. Playing it standing is a step above that in immersion, and just slightly below full motion controlled experience.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You probably have your reasons for preferring the gamepad, but I would highly recommend to use the motion controllers for playing standing. Especially with a standing setup being able to move your hands freely is such a huge immersion bonus.

markbradley1982
    Participant

You probably have your reasons for preferring the gamepad, but I would highly recommend to use the motion controllers for playing standing. Especially with a standing setup being able to move your hands freely is such a huge immersion bonus.

I’ll have to give it a try. I was inspired to try gamepad standing because several people reported immersive results with that setup in Resident Evil 7 and with that new MotherVR Alien Isolation VR mod.

I have to admit that playing standing has been a big immersion bonus so I will definitely give the motion controllers a shot. Are there enough buttons on the motion controllers for all the actions I need like VATS, pipboy, etc?

The ability to need to fully turn my body while turning ingame in New Vegas makes this feel like a native VR game. VorpX is truly the gift the keeps on giving.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You should have enough buttons available, vorpX uses a shift button to switch between two mappings (left grip button). Touch has one button more, so it’s a bit closer to a gamepad mapping, but Vive wands also work fine.

The button mapping is freely configurable in the vorpX ingame menu and displayed on the rendered ingame controllers, so they are quite intuitive to use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!