Does ,,direct vr" games looks like native vr?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Does ,,direct vr" games looks like native vr?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    StreetPreacher
    Participant

Just played for a long while with the new build and everything went incredibly smoothly! DirectVr is really a great achievement, just the basic positional tracking ability to lean to look around corners is huge for immersion.

It’s just a shame that unlocking the weapons is an impossibility with most games, otherwiuse this Vorpx driver is nearly perfect! :)

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Bioshock Infinite is now running crash free, and looks amazing with DirectVR! I just played for a couple of hours and it ran rock solid, and the only issue was the movement freezing when I tried to use one of the binocular stations. Solution; just don’t use the binoculars ;)

Now what I’m trying to understand is why some games (such as Infinite) look so good and run so smoothly at the 1280×1024 resolution, while other games tend to look far softer and more aliased running at the same resolution?

Is there something unique about the Unreal 3 engine?

Andrewcd
    Participant

i’d like to thank ralf, man direct vr is something else, i feel as if we lose a little tiny bit of quality?? but it feels way more immersive, like your actually there now, i tried only skyrim for a small time, i’ll go in a try l4d2 also

Ralf
    Keymaster

Direct VR has no influence on image sharpness. Some games looking sharper than others in most cases is caused by the change from multisampling antialiasing to the various post processing AA methods that most newer games use (FXAA, TAA etc.). These are faster than MSAA and easier to apply for developers in more complex rendering scenarios, which is why they are used, but they all blur the image, some more some less.

A relatively blur free post proccessing AA is called SMAA. If a game offers SMAA, choose that over FXAA or TAA.

If a game has MSAA, always use that. Be aware though that it is more costly performance wise. Another option is to turn off antialising completely and raise the resolution instead for supersampling. That is the most costly method, but also the best looking.

For older games where performance is not too much of a concern cranking up the resolution beyond 1920×1440 and then applying a mild sharpening in the vorpX menu can provide great supersampled results. Won’t work for most newer titles though due the framerate suffering too badly.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, and I’m aware that DirectVR doesn’t directly improve the image, however just having the FOV set correctly, and the buttery smooth head movement helps make everything look better overall.

I’m now on the hunt for a 1080ti, I haven’t actually done any benchmarking of Vorpx, but I’m assuming that the GPU is the bottleneck in most situations?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Depends on the game, but it’s safe to say that you can’t go wrong with a 1080ti in most cases.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!