Downsampling question

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Downsampling question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    robobobr
    Participant

Hello, fellow users. I’ve read that downsampling (aka rendering game in larger than displayed resolution) really helps with image quality in VR. Googling led to mentions of “image scaling multiplier” in VorpX menu, while in-game. However i can’t spot a setting like that, when i bring up the in-game menu. Steam VR downsampling setting seem to only be affecting the steamVR room. Trying to select a downsampling resolution ingame leads to it not being displayed in the VR device, only on main screen. So how do i downsample a game?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Due to the way vorpX works, the SteamVR super sampling doesn’t really affect vorpX. What’s important is the resolution the game runs with. The internal image scaling is only avaialble in a handful of DX9 games (e.g. Skyrim).

vorpX automatically downsamples as soon as you run a game with a resolution higher than the display res of your headset. The major caveat in this regard is that games don’t launch in resolutions higher than you monitor allows if run fullscreen. So if you “only” have a 1920×1080 monitor, you need to run games windowed to allow resolutions higher than that. Not possible for every game, but for many.

You need to find a compromise between performance and resolution, which varies from game to game. 45fps are a requirement for comfortable VR (check with ALT-F). That said 1920×1440 is a good resolution for most games on a highend system. For older games even more might be possible with a truly fast machine.

Generally you should choose 4:3/5:4 resolutions, widescreen resolutions are a waste processing power since many rendered pixels won’t be visible in the headset.

iselvisforreal
    Participant

I generally do downsampling through the Radeon driver with custom 4:3 resolutions (e.g. 1920×1440, 2560×1920) – they then need to be selected in-game as the game’s resolution. Works for example in Bioshock and Dishonored.

Here a few hints to get started:
    – AMD has VSR and NVidias DSR which are a driver-side downsampling technology (doesn’t work on my setup; likely because of ultrawide monitor)
    – GeDoSaTo works well for DirectX9 games only through injection (might conflict with vorpx; I haven’t tested this)
    – The solution that I use involves some registry hackery – the advantage over GeDoSaTo is that it works with any game including DirectX11:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsampling-with-amd-crimson-demonstration.404125/
    I think there are some analogue instructions for nvidia on guru3d…

As I said, this method works well so far with VorpX for me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!