End-of-life plan for VorpX?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion End-of-life plan for VorpX?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dimensionaldude
    Participant

VorpX is such a fantastic piece of software, it makes me a little nervous having the online authentication dependency the way it does. While I understand this is necessary to prevent piracy, in the event VorpX had to shut down, would some sort of patch be released for customers to continue running the software?

I’m particularly nervous about this since Tridef VR had a similar system, then they went out of business, and now the software is totally unusable. If a similar thing happened to VorpX, VR users would have almost nothing.

To be clear, I’m not advocating for VorpX to get rid of their DRM while it’s still being supported, I’m thinking of the long term if that become unsustainable.

An answer would be very much appreciated and give me some peace of mind. Thanks in advance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There will be an end-of-life-plan when there is need for an end-of-life-plan, which is a far cry from now.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

That’s all I wanted to hear. As long as VorpX doesn’t suffer the same fate as Tridef VR, that puts me at ease. Thanks for the answer!

CrackerBrand00
    Participant

Me as well. There is another piece of software for language learning I use daily run by an individual, and I always hope that guy fastens his seatbelt. As dark as that sounds

Lawrence1962
    Participant

Since meta left PC-VR, vorpx and similar apps are more important than ever before. So long we can buy new VR headsets, vorpx will not die ! The current problem i see is the covid crises, which makes hardware too much expensive and slow down the development of the upcoming games, this is toxic for my vorpx passion and the success of vorpx in 2021 in general. In the last few month i’m missing the demand of official vorpx profiles in the forum for the the couple of games that were released in spite of covid.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

This is great to hear Ralf.

As yet another person who use TriDef extensively for close to a decade, I can attest to the amount of time many of us in that community put into profiles, posting solution, you name it. Now 0% of my time, money, or effort is still usable as, like far too many, they simply abandoned their product when they went out of business.

It’s something that’s worried me every time I have to request a new vorpX key.

jjensson
    Participant

I posted (or emailed?) a similar question when i bought VorpX, but this time at least Ralf answered.

Lately i’m not so sure about the usability of VorpX if Ralf exits the development. VorpX depends on regular updates to stay compatible even with some older games. So, even if VorpX turns into abandonware and can be used indefinitely by everyone who bought it in the past, the usefulness would probably diminish greatly after a while.

But i’m just a passionate stereo3D gamer, so, guys, feel free to correct me if my assessments are wrong.

markbradley1982
    Participant

There will be an end-of-life-plan when there is need for an end-of-life-plan, which is a far cry from now.

Have you considered setting up a Patreon for some of us VorpX super fans who have been enjoying your product for years and wish to start contributing again?

CrackerBrand00
    Participant

i second this motion. I bought the program twice, but i’d be interested in Patreon as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!