End of Reverb G2 support ?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion End of Reverb G2 support ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Boblekobold
    Participant

Is this the end of Reverb G2 support ?

Someone told me his G2 didn’t worked anymore, due to Windows Update (incompatibility with Windows Mixed Reality).

I would be pissed.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Something like that. I don’t remember the specifics, but Microsoft announced that they’re removing WMR from Windows. People said that if you don’t update Win10 and don’t upgrade to Win11, you should be able to still use it.

I’m very glad i sold my G2 last year. I knew that it’s EOL when i bought it, but the rumour (?) was that it will be supported by HP and MS until 2026. Oh well…

Boblekobold
    Participant

I have Windows 11 and it works, but some people have problem since 23h2 or 23h3.
    I’m still in older version. I disabled Windows Update…

It’s not a money problem for me. In my opinion, Reverb G2 is still the best headset to play with VorpX.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

G2 worked great with vorpX and The Witcher 3. My main problem was that it was not comfortable for my face shape and i needed to live with some pain during usage. Second issue was that something wasn’t quite right with the stereo overlap. I know that Quest 3 has a small(ish) stereo overlap as well, but somehow on the G2 it felt more noticeable, while on Quest 3 i can forget it quickly.

But i loved the resolution, not even Quest 3 can quite get to this level, IMO.

Cer
    Participant

Is this the end of Reverb G2 support ?

Someone told me his G2 didn’t worked anymore, due to Windows Update (incompatibility with Windows Mixed Reality).

I would be pissed.

LOL, April jokes even here?

DADDYPANK
    Participant

No, this is not an April falls joke. The reverb G2 will no longer be supported in any next Windows update. I’m sure there will be work around, but officially EOL.

Boblekobold
    Participant

G2 worked great with vorpX and The Witcher 3. My main problem was that it was not comfortable for my face shape and i needed to live with some pain during usage. Second issue was that something wasn’t quite right with the stereo overlap. I know that Quest 3 has a small(ish) stereo overlap as well, but somehow on the G2 it felt more noticeable, while on Quest 3 i can forget it quickly.

But i loved the resolution, not even Quest 3 can quite get to this level, IMO.

To solve these issues with the G2 :

You can buy a VR cover (I needed it to remove the nose thing) :
    “VR Cover Facial Interface & Foam Replacement for HP Reverb G2 V1 & V2” on Amazon

You can also buy a BoboVR M2 strap :
    “BOBOVR M2 Plus Head Strap,Compatible with Meta Quest 2” on Amazon
    With a G2 adapter :
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1079503371/kit-adaptateur-tyco-tech-hp-reverb-g2?variation0=2226421683

This way it’s perfect (I added coins as counter weight at the back, in little plastic tubes, and I added bubble wrap around BoboVR top arms). The G2 doesn’t even touch my face. It doesn’t move. And I can wear it as long as I want.

If needed, there is also counter weights and other straps :
    https://www.studioformcreative.com/reverb-g2
    Varjo Aero ones could be better (as there are two weights)

Don’t forget lenses (correction + blue protection) :
    https://vroptician.com/

Cer
    Participant

“BOBOVR M2 Plus Head Strap,Compatible with Meta Quest 2” finde ich auf Amazon nicht und auf etsy ist das Kit ausverkauft. Vielleicht hänge ich mir doch einfach mal Gewichte hinten dran und lass die G2 “locker”.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Oh wow, i appreciate the effort, but this will not work for me. Eyes need to be very close to the lenses to get the full FOV of the G2. The problem is that the opening for the nose has hard edges that can’t be fixed without cutting into the outer shell of the HMD.

Yeah, i have a big nose, but it’s not massive, so i still blame HP for not making it more compatible with a broader range of face shapes. :D

Boblekobold
    Participant

@MarcDwonn :
    i understand you. Don’t buy a Varjo Aero…
    I don’t think my nose is especially big, but it’s hard to use most VR headset without having contact with nose.

Even if I don’t have full FOV it’s Ok for me. Maybe you can raise in game FOV to compensate (I usually use around 120 FOV without problem).

Boblekobold
    Participant

@Cer :
    You should find it at bobovr.com :
    BOBOVR M2 Plus Head Strap,Compatible with Meta Quest 2,Enhanced Comfort and Reduce Facial Stress,VR Accessories(M2 Upgrade)
    Just buy the adapter on Etsy.
    You could translate to english…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!