Euro Truck Simulator 2 with proper AA

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Euro Truck Simulator 2 with proper AA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sikjar
    Participant

I know that ETS2 has beta support for VR, but the game has basically no antialiasing, so it looks horrible.
    Some modders over at the Roextended forum have found a solution by using Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI) to apply antialiasing to the game ( https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1000 )
    This works fine in 2D, but not for the VR version of ETS2.
    I’ve been tring to use VorpX to get this antialiasing fix to work in VR, and it almost works now.
    I am using a custom cloud profile for non-VR ETS2. It displays OK in VR when I don’t use the special NPI settings for antialiasing. When I use NPI to set 4xAA, the image quality is great, but only the top quarter of the game screen is shown in the vr screen, as if the image is zoomed in. When I set 2xAA the VR screen is not zoomed in so much, it shows about half of the game screen.
    I am wondering if the problem can be solved by editing the VorpX profile, but I have no experiance in doing that.
    Does anybody have any advice on how to scale down the resolution of the VR image, so that I can use 4xAA and still see the whole image in VorpX?

RJK_
    Participant

Just a few days ago i was trying to fix the game without success. I am afraid you can play it in 2D only with vorpX.
    BTW: You dont really need AA with VorpX when choosing a high custom resolution.

sikjar
    Participant

I am fine with 2D, I just want to be able to play in my headset using headtracking, and VorpX makes that possible.

I have tried to increase the quality without antialiasing, but even with very high supersampling there is stil a lot of aliasing and flickering on distant objects. Maybe I am especially sensitive to this, but I really find the game unplayable without antialiasing. The solution using NPI applies 4x Multisampling and 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling plus a few other setting changes, which almost totally eliminates those problems.
    So I am still hoping for some solution that will allow me to use the NPI method in VR.

RJK_
    Participant

Please dont be confused with (steamVR) supersampling and resolution. I would recommend using the highest possible custom resoultion that you can set up without making the game studder.You perhaps have also artifacts of a partly wrong working profile too. To make shure youre playing 2D , switch 3D to OFF on the main settings page of the vorpx menu. This may alrady solves the problem.

sikjar
    Participant

Thanks, I will try that. But where do I set the custom resoultion? Is it done in vorpX or in ETS2?

RJK_
    Participant

Add a resolution that our monitor can display on your graphics driver panel example 2560×1440, as higher as better (see vorpX config App help page). For cinema mode a widescreen res. will make sense. Then choose this resolution in game. If you have trouble reaching the games menu, use windowed mode if the game supports it or switch your monitor to that resolution, then start game in full screen mode.

sikjar
    Participant

Thank you for the tips, but in my opinion ETS2 has problems with aliasing even at 4K resolution, it seems to be a basic problem with the game engine. If we cannot get antialiasing to work, I will try to find another solution.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!