Every single game running like crap in vorpx

Homepage Forums Technical Support Every single game running like crap in vorpx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AChair
    Participant

Every game I try to run in vorpx runs like absolute crap. Games like Resident Evil 7 where I’d usually get close to 200fps normally will struggle to get anywhere near the 90fps mark running in vorpx. I even tried Minecraft and with no 3D what-so-ever it still wasn’t hitting 90. What am I doing wrong??

Ralf
    Keymaster

Your RE7 numbers sound pretty much in line with what you can expect. Keep in mind that everything has to be drawn twice for stereo 3D which roughly cuts the performance in half. For many games vorpX also adjusts (read: raises) the game’s camera field of view to match the FOV of your headset, which also costs some FPS since with a higher FOV more objects have to be drawn. On top of these two things there is a small extra overhead for rendering to the headset.

Your main options to deal with the matter are reducing graphics details or switching to Z3D, which doesn’t look as good, but is a lot faster. Some additional information can be found in the ‘Performance Optimization’ of the vorpX help.

vorpX creates interpolated frames below 90fps BTW. Unless your framerate falls below 45fps that typically works well enough, even 30 can be passable if only occuring occasionally.

AChair
    Participant

Half of 200 is 100 not below 60, also running at settings much lower than usual with lighting and shadow effects at a minimum. It also doesn’t look like it is creating interpolated frames as its all jittery and horrible to play. Z3D also runs slowly and as I mentioned running with no 3D at all still runs badly.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There are three things that cost FPS, not just stereo rendering. Below in list form, in case that didn’t become entirely clear above:

1. G3D roughly cuts the frame rate in half (usually a little bit more)
    2. Raising the game’s field of view to match your headset FOV costs additional performance since more objects have to be drawn
    3. Some overhead for rendering to the headset.

I can’t comment on Minecraft since the game is not supported and I never tried it but with Z3D (or no 3D) and no FOV adjustment you should typically see 85-90% of your mono performance, otherwise something is wrong. In that case please check the trouble shooting guide on top of this sub-forum, especially the part about potential conflicts with other programs on your PC. If you happen to be an nVidia 3D-Vision user, also make sure that is disabled.

AChair
    Participant

Then explain why portal can’t hit 90fps in vorpx.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It can normally and on a fast PC it definitely should. If you have framerate issues beyond what I wrote above (your description of trying Minecraft in 2D sounds like that), please check the trouble shooting guide on top of this sub-forum, especially the part about potential conflicts with other programs on your PC. If you happen to be an nVidia 3D-Vision user, also make sure that is disabled.

AChair
    Participant

I’ll have a look, I have an AMD card so no, I don’t use 3d-vision.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

As a general rule I’ve always found that using G3D *at the same resolution* will result in 1/3 your fps in worst-case-scenario parts of a game (hence, the important bits since it is your minimum FPS that matters the most). Want a minimum of 30fps? Then your rig needed to be able to play that title at 90fps minimum. As others have pointed out, HMDs also need a HUGE resolution in order to fill your entire FOV, so now you have to add that on top of everything else, and things get even worse.

It does get a bit better as you figure things out, but you’ll have to make quality concessions of one type or another. The vorpX Z3D is pretty good as such things go, and you may simple have to use that for some titles.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!