Everything looks flat in Fallout 4

Homepage Forums Technical Support Everything looks flat in Fallout 4

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    seaody
    Participant

Hi,
    I have been tying to configure Fallout 4 on the CV1 but everything looks flat like I am just playing on a giant monitor with no 3D. I have tried the game settings optimizer and local/cloud profiles. The vorpx ingame settings don’t make a difference and it’s the vanilla game. I had the same problem with crysis but I just used the game settings optimizer and it fixed it. There is also a giant gap on the bottom and smaller ones on the top and sides. The edge peek is off so it is not creating them and I have re-configured the rift sensor and the center positional tracking multiple times but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. Are there fixes for these problems?

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can switch to Geometry 3D in the vorpX ingame menu. Fallout 4 defaults to Z-Buffer 3D, which doesn’t look as good as Geometry 3D, but is a lot faster (almost twice in Fallout 4).

Caveat: for Geometry 3D to work at a VR compatible frame rate in FO4 (at least largely), you will need a GTX 1070/1080 and play with medium graphics settings.

If you want to reduce potentially visible bars, make sure the Image Zoom slider is at its max. position in the vorpX ingame menu (image page). Just be aware that this will require a higher FOV and resolution to look correct/good. Both further reduce performance.

Decent performance (45fps+) is extremely important for a comfortable experience, so you should always primarily keep an eye on that. ALT+F displays the current frame rate. Depending on your PC you may (and probably will) have to make compromises for games as demanding as Fallout 4.

seaody
    Participant

Ok the Image Zoom slider worked but the only thing I can find that says anything about Geometry is the 3D Reconstruction and it was already set to Geometry. The only other options were Z-Normal and Z-Adaptive. Am I missing something? I went through the menu multiple times.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Geometry 3D uses two distinct cameras to render the scene twice just like native apps. If things still look flat to you, you can change the strength of the 3D effect by using the “3D Strength/Separation” option.

Just be aware that this also alters the perceived scale of the scene. The higher the 3d strength, the smaller you will perceive the scene. The default gives a fairly natural 3D-strength and scale, but you can dial in what you like best – the adjustable range is extremely wide.

In case you didn’t do that: make sure to that the FOV to 120 (Vive) or 110 (Rift). That is extremely important, otherwise everything will look very odd. Either use the vorpX Game Optimizer for that or type “fov 120 120” (without the quotes) into the game’s console and hit ENTER.

seaody
    Participant

I ended up reinstalling windows and that fixed some of the problem but I need to adjust the IDP but I can’t find the setting. It used to be obvious. Did you move it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

IPD is now fully handled by the Oculus/Vive runtimes and can’t be adjusted manually anymore.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Changing to geometry 3D definitely makes everything look more well defined.

My problem is that I keep accidentally switching to 3rd person view, and for some reason it’s impossible to switch back to first person view without quitting to desktop and restarting…

It’s very odd, it’s like the POV button just doesn’t work to toggle back to first person after you accidentally hit it to change to 3r4d…

seaody
    Participant

If you have a mouse wheel you can try to adjust the zoom for 1st/3rd person with it. The default is set so you can.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

If you have a mouse wheel you can try to adjust the zoom for 1st/3rd person with it. The default is set so you can.

Thanks! I managed to figure that out, but was worried that I was somehow getting a ‘zoomed in first person view’ as my melee weapon was barely visible on the side of the screen when zoomed all the way in.

Next question, what is the best way to force a 1280×1024 resolution, and force the recommended FOV? I looked at the ‘optimization settings’ and the resolution and FOV settings are correct and checked, however when I launch fallout it gives me the Vorpx warning that the resolution is still set to my montior default (1680×1050)…

I tried using a third party graphic configurator to override the fallout in game settings, but when I had that running the game wouldn’t launch on the headset with Vorpx..

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unless you are using some kind of of mod manager which enforces its own .ini file, the ini is:

[Documents]\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini

Make sure that no file in this folder is write protected. Some tweak tool authors feel they are important enough to write protect the .ini files, which would prevent the Game Optimizer from working and you from saving the files.

Resolution is changed with the below values:

iSize H (height)
    iSize W (width)

If you have a *REALLY* beefy rig you can also try 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 for better quality (at the cost of performance)

FOV can be adjusted by opening the ingame console and typing:

fov 120 120 (followed by pressing enter)

Or any other value you want to apply, the first is the world FOV, the second the player/weapon FOV.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Thanks, looks like my ini file had been set to ‘read only’…

EDIT:

Thanks again, got it dialed in pretty well now, very cool. Just have to figure out the best combination of look sensitivity and HT sensitivity to make the head movement feel natural. Oh, and I’ll need a 1080ti asap! lol

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!