Eye strain fix

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Eye strain fix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    RobLocksley
    Participant

Hello,
    been playing around a bit but not found any real solution so I thought we should try to compile a knowledge base about Eye strain.

When I try out a game (have not been able to really play anything because of the above problem) my eyes seem to press into my head as if the IPD setting is waaaaay off. After fiddling around with 3D depth, Zoom, Focal Adjust and what not I tried to find the IPD adjustment I knew I read about with VorpX.
    Seems like that function has been removed and VorpX now reads the IPD directly from the VR Device app. But the eye strain is unbearable and when you land in the VR lobby again it is like ice on your poor small eye muscles.

Now what have you all been doing to aliviate the eye-strain? What settings seemed to affect it the most and is there something more that could be incorperated into the VorpX app?

Focal Adjust: does alot but it is hard to percieve the effect since the vorpX menu is blocking the view. Can one move the ingame VorpX menu to a corner or make a hotkey for the different settings?

3D view: seems to help but will quickly give graphical anomelies.

Will edit and update this post as information is gathered.

Aries144
    Participant

Has anyone learned anything more about this? No matter what I do, game ini changes to adjust FOV, custom resolutions, various zoom settings, etc, for me the render window always seems to be at a focal distance of something like 20cm.

I simply can’t find a way to resolve this. Surely, this person and myself aren’t the only ones experiencing this.

Can we please get some help Ralf? What information can I provide?

Eola667
    Participant

As far as I know IPD adjustment is tied to the 3D strength setting, at least when it comes to G3D, the 3D scale/strength setting changes how far your ‘eyes’ are apart from each other, that’s how it makes objects appear smaller or bigger through stereopsis. Need confirmation from Ralf for Z3D though.

Edit: I must say though, software IPD adjustment works excellent as an offset, but mechanical IPD adjustment on your headset must be set right for your eyes first in case it wasn’t.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX uses the headset’s IPD adjustment just like native apps. If you experience eye strain you might have set the 3D-Strength too high like Eola667 suggests. Leave it at the default value.

Technically a too high 3D-Strength (distance of the virtual ‘eyes’ in the game) differs from a wrong headset IPD (distance of your actual eyes), but both can cause exactly the same type of eye strain since your eyes have to do more work to bring the images together when you raise the 3D-Strength. For official profiles the default value of 1.0 is usually what you want to use. More doesn’t mean better here.

Aries144
    Participant

Ok, I found my issue. Somehow, in the three years I’ve owned Vorpx, I’ve neglected to notice the “More Stereo 3d Settings” button.

In this particular game, Strike Fighters 2, the profile someone linked had the focal offset set to 0.3. This was far too much for me. Setting to 0.1, a few afternoons of fiddling with the settings, and some further tweaks to the game’s display files, and no more eyestrain.

Thank you Ralf. Thank you Eola667.

Aries144
    Participant

Correction: Focal Offset was set to 0.03 and I changed it to 0.01.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The focal offset (A.K.A convergence) setting indeed should be handled extremely carefully since it can cause discomfort similarly to changing the IPD slider on the headset. Didn’t think about that in my reply above since official profiles (almost) never use it, sorry.

In contrast to stereo 3D on a small monitor where changing the convergence is useful to determine how much of the scene appears before/behind the screen, in VR even small changes indeed can cause discomfort pretty fast. Best to leave it at 0.0, the stereo 3D effect is applied in a way that with focal offset 0.0 it works as expected in a VR headset.

RJK_
    Participant

@Ralf
    i wonder if VorpX does a re-calculation immediately after IPD has been changed or does the game needs to be restarted after a change ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The headset IPD is changed either by physically moving the two screens of your headset or in software by the headset API in case of headsets that don’t have physical IPD adjustment.

You probably ask because changing the IPD slider on your headset does not do the same as changing focal offset/convergence: although above I wrote that there are similarities in regard to creating eye strain, changing the headset IPD is not the same as changing convergence. What they have in common is that both can force your eyes to either look inwards or (worse since totally unnatural) outwards instead of straight ahead, which causes the eye strain. For some more than for others.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, I asked because i am still having a little trouble to find the best IPD setting for my eyes in main. Wonder if someone would create a test image or something for this purpose. What i did so far was measuring my eye distance with a slide gauge *lol but the vive seems to be needing very precise settings.Not shure if that method was good enough.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Oculus has a nifty calibration method in their software, vorpX also had a calibration method (and still has for the ‘Generic’ headset), but that is of no use for headsets that do IPD adjustment themselves, it’s also not perfectly precise.

No such thing for SteamVR as far as I’m aware, but your do-it-yourself-ruler-method should be good enough normally, probably most people do it that way. Beyond that: if you want really precise IPD measurement, go to an optician and let them measure it, in my opinion that’s the only way to do it right.

BTW: If you wear glasses, as a German you might have received a ‘Brillenpass’ with them, which typically contains the IPD (consisting of two values for the left and right eye).

RJK_
    Participant

Youre a genius ! Just checked my “Brillenpass” and did a quick test. The result was quite surprising and confusing at the same time. Before my setting was around 66to68, the pass says 62. When using this value the image becomes very unsharp on both sides, somehow like in a tunnel. When sliding up carefully back to around 66 the image gets better and better. (What i usually do is adjusting until i have a maximum of clearness on both eyes on the same far left and right objects). Now i am back to 66 even the optician measured 62. Very strange. I would guess the vive adjustment is not very precise.
    BTW. If so ,it must be a main vive thing, because i was using the same values on 3 different vive headsets before.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If the value in your pass differs 4mm from what looks right to you, I’d probably get another measurement, just to be sure. For me my measured IPD matches with what I use for VR headsets, it’s also pretty much what I get with the Oculus calibration.

Regarding your sharp-edges-method: all headsets get blurrier towards the edges, Vive a bit faster than Oculus BTW, so using edge sharpness isn’t really a good metric to determine your IPD. Might well be that your optician’s measurement is perfectly right and that this is also the value you should use. Sounds unlikely to me that your headset is 4mm off.

RJK_
    Participant

This morning i put my pass under a microscope because “1” looked very similar to “4”. I clearly noticed a missing printer dot, so my numbers arent 62, they are in fact 68 (34/34) . Sorry for unnessecarily raising confusion on this matter.

RJK_
    Participant

Anyhow thanks again for the tip with the optician !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!