F1 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    goshops
    Participant

Sometimes I get head tracking in F1 2012, it’s really hit or miss, sometimes it works, most times it causes my computer to hard crash. Or I have to restart my computer 3 or 4 times to get head tracking properly working in F1 2012.

I recently got F1 2014 and I have nothing. Vorpx doesn’t even let me change the 3D, it is just off, I don’t get the option for Z-adaptive or whatever the other two options were.

Anyone know a work around or how I can get this fixed?

Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Doesn’t F1 2014 work in unsupported mode? Normally it should work just fine with most VR related functionality fully intact, just without 3D. A profile including 3D for the game will be available in the next vorpX update.

Head tracking wise you have two options (like in all Codemasters games):

A. Using OpenTrack for TrackIR emulation.

B. Emulate a gamepad axis with the head tracker:

1. Press [DEL] to open the in-game menu
    2. Go to Input page
    3. Set ‘Handle Gamepads Internally’ to Off
    4. Set ‘Headtracking as Gamepad’ to Relative or Absolute depending on the game. You should get a grasp of what is better quickly.
    5. Map the emulated ‘gamepad’ to the look around functions in the game you want to play. Do not leave this step out, it’s vital!

Now you are able to look around in your cockpit. The view has to be centered from time to time because of possible yaw drift (should be greatly reduced with an calibrated magnetometer). There is a shortcut for centering.

goshops
    Participant

The only way I have been able to get head tracking in F1 2012 is if I have both Opentrack running and emulate a gamepad axis. I was just able to get it working in F1 2014 but it caused my system to crash, the only things I had running were Vorpx, F1 2014, and Opentrack.

And yes, it did work in unsupported though it took several times of restarting my computer to get it working, it seems really choosey on when head tracking works. Sometimes it causes the game to pause every few minutes, other times it just crashes, rarely with a bsod. Though I haven’t been able to recreate what causes the crash, it’s completely random.

Sometimes I can play other games and do some video editing, load up F1 2012 and play with head tracking for an hour with no issues. Sometimes it crashes as it loads after a fresh restart.

Though I do look forward to the next update, thanks.

sammy10117
    Participant

Doesn’t F1 2014 work in unsupported mode? Normally it should work just fine with most VR related functionality fully intact, just without 3D. A profile including 3D for the game will be available in the next vorpX update.

Head tracking wise you have two options (like in all Codemasters games):

A. Using OpenTrack for TrackIR emulation.

B. Emulate a gamepad axis with the head tracker:

1. Press [DEL] to open the in-game menu
    2. Go to Input page
    3. Set ‘Handle Gamepads Internally’ to Off
    4. Set ‘Headtracking as Gamepad’ to Relative or Absolute depending on the game. You should get a grasp of what is better quickly.
    5. Map the emulated ‘gamepad’ to the look around functions in the game you want to play. Do not leave this step out, it’s vital!

Now you are able to look around in your cockpit. The view has to be centered from time to time because of possible yaw drift (should be greatly reduced with an calibrated magnetometer). There is a shortcut for centering.

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the above explanation about head tracking in F1 2014.
    The only thing I don’t understand is this:

Could you please guide me through the various steps as I don’t know how to map the gamepad to the look around functions in F1 2014.

Thanks in advance!

goshops
    Participant

This one confused me as well and honestly, I don’t remember what I did to get it working, just one day I started Opentrack, then Vorpx with head tracking disabled in the config menu, then when in the game, I set the head tracking to relative and it worked, where I pointed the rift, so too the camera looked. Although it doesn’t make a difference for me if it is on relative or absolute, sometimes one works and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s odd.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Every Codemasters game allows to map buttons and gamepad axes in the input configuration of options menu. There should be entries at least for look left/right, in some of them also look up/down.

sammy10117
    Participant

Every Codemasters game allows to map buttons and gamepad axes in the input configuration of options menu. There should be entries at least for look left/right, in some of them also look up/down.

~

Hi ralf,

Thanks for your reply.
    I agree that the option to map buttons is there but how can you map a head movement f.e look left/right/up/down…?

goshops
    Participant

Mapping the Rift movement as joystick inputs is what I couldn’t figure out. Though I did forget to map movement in Opentrack, though I don’t remember if mapping that immediately solved my problem as I recall having a few issues with a lack of head tracking on a few games, but it works now. Though my power supply appears to be failing and it randomly crashes during gaming, or video rendering.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Ah OK, didn’t understand the question at first apparently. Mapping the axes can be a bit finnicky at times but in general it’s a pretty straight forward process.

I would suggest to not wear the headset for this, but instead hold it with your hands. Now you press the (for example) “map look left button” in the game options and rotate the headset to the left until the game registers the movement.

Basically exactly the same process you would go through when mapping a gamepad axis, with the only difference that instead of pushing a gamepad thumbstick you rotate the headset in the according direction.

Hopefully that makes sense.

goshops
    Participant

It does, and I don’t remember seeing an option to map the controller options like that and I’ve tried various times of turning the rift and hoping to see something change in the game settings or in the vorpx menu, though perhaps I was doing it wrong. Regardless, I do have head tracking now in most games, trying to get head tracking in Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Flight Simulator X but haven’t been successful with them yet.

I’ve had no troubles with Dirt 3 or Borderlands Pre-Sequel, took a bit to get Skyrim and F1 2012/14 to work but they work now.

SvenH
    Participant

Hello, I got the F1 2014 to work but so far I could find a good camera file with a good FOV.
    Does anybody have a good file or which FOV could be used ?
    Currently it Looks like sitting in a F1 with a real BIG steering wheel and to Close to the wheel-

Any help is appreciated ?
    REgards
    SVen

goshops
    Participant

http://www.entertherift.fr/article-606-maj-tuto-f1-2012-13-et-dirt.html

I followed this, it does work for 2014 and it links to everything you’ll need.

SvenH
    Participant

Thanks a lot. Found that link.
    I wonder if you could advise which FOV and X,Y,Z values you have used.

That would be really great !
    Headtracking with OBS is working but the FOV and I am sure the X,Y,Z values need adjustment
    Thanks
    Regards
    Sven

goshops
    Participant

I’ve only adjusted the FOV and I’ve adjusted it to around 75, instead of the normal 54/55

goshops
    Participant

I’ve ran into an issue however it’s not with vorpX, I think.

I’ve been able to run F1 2014 smoothly in the Rift and even started a let’s play on my youtube channel, however recently–last night or the night before–F1 has started causing Open Track to crash and disables headtracking. I am still able to use Open Track to recenter the camera, so I know it’s at least working.

If I want to get it working again, I have to alt-enter to put F1 in windowed mode, pause vorpx, stop and restart Open Track, resume vorpx and leave F1 in windowed mode, but then it is so laggy and keeps recentering the camera that it is unplayable.

I haven’t done any driver updates, nothing on my system has changed… does anyone have a possible idea of what could be going on? I am stumped… and there are no crash or error reports.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!