F1 2021 Weird Select Message

Homepage Forums Technical Support F1 2021 Weird Select Message

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rudydlc
    Participant

I have been playing F1 2021 on an HMD odyssey+ using the openXR profile. I use a G920 wheel and sometimes when I am transitioning from braking changing pedals I see a message saying Select that causes a ton of nausea as it pops up in the foreground dead center of my view. Is there any button combination that will bring up a select message so I can disable it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Difficult to say anything useful without knowing specifics. Doesn’t sound like a message vorpX displays, but I’m not entirely sure. What does the message say exactly? It probably doesn’t just say ‘Select’, does it?

Norseman
    Participant

Hey Rudy, Is your Odyssey+ working well with F1 2021? I’m using the same headset and having nothing but problems getting it to work well in F1 2021… Can you share what profile you’re using, and what settings you have it set to in the game? Also, if you’re using Nvidia GPU like me, maybe you can share those settings too? I would really, really appreciate it!

Ralf
    Keymaster

You shouldn’t have to set up anything besides what is mentioned in the top/left corner of the game window. If you already tinkered with settings besides that, please reset the profile to default in (either in the config app or the vorpX ingame menu) and then just follow the instructions.

If ‘nothing but problems’ refers to the black bars above/below the image: that’s unavoidable in this case unfortunately. The game’s camera field of view can’t be set high enough to match the headset FOV without these bars.

Norseman
    Participant

Well, I did the suggested settings in upper left… But the one setting it suggests that I’ve been unable to do (if I’m reading it correctly) is being able to activate Tobii. The menu in the game doesn’t allow me to turn on Tobii, but I was able to turn on TrackIR. And I did already try doing as you said, running default settings, but still my 2 biggest issues are horrible tracking that is very inconsistent (like the center viewpoint floats around), and then really bad ghosting. It’s totally undriveable.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s the right head tracking setting. For some reason it’s in the Tobii Eye Tracking sub menu. Don’t ask me why.

Not really sure about your other issue. Sounds like it might be a performance problem. You can check the framerate with the built in vorpX FPS counter (ALT+F). In the absolute best possible case both numbers it displays would be the refresh rate of your headset (e.g. 90/90). That might not be possible though, depending on the game and your PC. The easiest way to deal with that is capping the game framerate to half the headset refresh rate with the ‘Fluid Sync’ option in the vorpX menu. I.e. with a 90Hz headset 45/90. Depending on the headset, 45/45 might also work, in that case the headset runtime would interpolate to 90 instead of vorpX.

If enabling FluidSync alone still does not get you a stable framerate, try to reduce graphics details and/or game resolution until you see stable values in the FPS counter.

Norseman
    Participant

Thank you for the input on the tracking. For the severe ghosting issue, I really don’t think that’s the issue because I tried all of that it didn’t make any change to the ghosting… It was bad as ever when I used Fluid Sync. I’m really hoping that the OP would respond to my question, since he’s using the same headset. I just want to know what settings he’s using in the game and in the Nvidia control panel.

Norseman
    Participant

And btw, maybe I’m not using the correct terminology when I say the graphics are ghosting… I wish I could share a screen shot, but on my monitors it isn’t showing this issue, only in the HMD. Is there a way to take a screenshot of what you see in the HMD?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I see. I’m 99% certain that what you mean is an unavoidable artifact of the depth buffer 3D method (Z3D), where the image is only rendered once (instead of once for each eye) and then the 3D effect is created afterwards based on the game’s depth buffer. This method introduces some shimmering around objects closer to the camera. Unfortunately F1 2021 does not have a DX11 renderer anymore and vorpX at this point does not support “true” Geometry 3D for DX12 yet. The upshot of the Z3D method is that it’s practically twice as fast.

If you find the artifacts extremely distracting, try to reduce the 3D-Strength. Another option would be to switch to a different camera position. With the ‘above-helmet-camera’ there isn’t anything directly in front of you that causes annoying artifacts. And last but not least you could revert to F1 2020, which has a DX11 renderer and a Geometry 3D vorpX profile.

rudydlc
    Participant

I was on extended vacation, and didnt get a single notification from this thread. I know what you mean on the 3D rendering being hard to drive so I changed the 3D rendering to be. I also have had to start the game exactly in the position I want to play at for the tracking to work well, so I start the game with the headset on using the windows VR room and interacting with my desktop and sit still in the dark for 30-35 seconds till it starts. I tweaked the game settings down on all the crowd, reflections, and turned off all ray tracing to get better performance and turn on the DLSS in game to balanced. In the Vorpx settings, I used the FSR sharpening and it really helps with getting rid of some of the DLSS blending issues on the wheel display for legibility. I just uploaded my profile on the Vorpx config app so try that out.

rudydlc
    Participant

Ralf, thanks for replying. The message actually does just say select in a black text box. is there a way to capture it for you? I can do that now that I am back home. it may have to do with some windows MR binding overlapping with the racing pedals.

rudydlc
    Participant

The game runs at 1440p on the headset averaging about 120 fps
    Specs:
    i7-8700k OC to 5 GHz
    32Gb 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM
    RTX 3070 with 120% power limit
    Running off a NVME SSD. this seemed to help a lot.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!