fallout 3?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    acb5544
    Participant

Fallout 3 is listed as a supported game, but I don’t seem to be able to get it to hook. I renamed d3d9.dll and tried various permutations of setting up the DK2 as direct to rift, extended as primary and extended as secondary and nothing worked. Game resolution is set to 1920 x 1080. I tried using my rift user profile and also not using the profile and entering IPD manually. I have the steam GOTY version of fallout 3 and a dozen or so mods and use nexus mod manager.

Can anyone confirm vorpx works with fallout 3 on 64-bit windows 7 with the dk2?

If so, I may try a fresh install of the game w/out mods, then add back a few of the mods that people seem to report as working OK with vorpx.

Thanks!

Karlor
    Participant

Shouldn’t need to rename anything? That might be why its not hooking. You cant have any ENBs or things like that. mods are fine just not ENB and things like that. I booted Fallout 3 a few months back and it was good then. I usually play New Vegas modded to the max right now but they both should hook no problem. Fallout and Skyrim are really good with vorpX. You can tune them in so good it’s pretty cool. Try a fresh install if taking out the ENB doesnt help it hook. Then you can add all your mods back after you make sure the vanilla game launches(it should).

Karlor
    Participant

Everybody Needs Boris but I havn’t found a way to use ENB and vorpX. They use the same files for there magic I think. Anyway I hope you can get it up and running. I love Fallout and it’s good to see another fan trying VR. Stick with it, it’s worth it. Check out some of the other posts for some mods that will help make it even better in the Rift.

acb5544
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The renamed file was just to add ‘.bak’ on the end so it wouldn’t be found by vorpx as a dll. Will deactivate all mods related to graphics enhancement, sounds like something there is the likely culprit.

Karlor
    Participant

Normally renaming a file would probably be enough but I’m not sure about the graphic mods(ENBs/sweet effects) so just taking them out is the safest probably. As far as other mods I haven’t had any issues so go nuts! :) I would suggest a ton of HUD mods, texture/model upgrades and a memory patch to help performance.

acb5544
    Participant

Uninstalled all mods, did a fresh install, fixed the INI file so it would run on win7 and vorpx works! I also finally got the game and menus fit to screen. The vorpx in game menu does lots of useful things, but it doesn’t seem there’s a comprehensive write up on each setting though so there was a lot of trial and error required to figure out how to do what I needed. Letterbox mode was the biggie along with menu scale. Otherwise couldn’t see the menu to even start a new game.

Head tracking didn’t seem to work but it was getting late so I didn’t fight with it much. Probably more trial and error needed with the head tracking and gamepad settings needed. I think the issue was having the 360 controller turned on but not disabled in the game menu.

Karlor
    Participant

Good deal! You’ll get the hang of it. There is definitely a learning curve but that’s with anything new. When you get comfortable with those settings you can go into vorpX config and turn on the sweg mlg “expert” settings. It adds even more things to get confused about lol no it’s really not bad just takes some time to get used to what everything does. The good news is once you get used to what everything does, and how to get what you want out of the program, its the same for every game. So you’ll be able to jump in and tune in a game and then not worry about it.

acb5544
    Participant

Update – got the 360 controller mostly working using the vorpx emulator, but then switched to xpadder for more flexibility.

Note that in the vorpx gamepad emulator, the start/back and left stick/right stick buttons are switched. I.e. mapping a button to ‘start’ will cause it to activate when you use the right stick button. I think this is a known bug and not a show stopper but makes things trickier.

Most everything is OK now and working except for one very important thing – I can’t seem to change which menu screen the pipboy is on. The fallout 3 manual says ‘left click’ changes the menu screen displayed, basically you click the round button to alternate between ‘stats’, ‘items’ and ‘data’ screens.

I can move the cursor around while in the pipboy using the right analog stick or the actual mouse, but using left click on either the 360 controller (as mapped in xpadder), or on the actual mouse, does not result in the buttons being clicked.

I tried changing the pipboy FOV in the INI file to make sure it’s all shown and not close to being off screen, but that doesn’t help. It’s as if the buttons aren’t ‘live’ and are un-clickable.

Am I missing something obvious?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The switched buttons in the gamepad emulation seem to depend on the X360 driver version used and or cabled vs. not cabled, rather odd. It’s indeed a known issue, but not high priority since solvable by remapping in the vorpX menu.

Pipboy: do you have HUD scaling active? While using the pipboy it might make sense to scale the HUD back to 100%. You can quick access HUD scaling with [ALT][MOUSEWHEEL]. Not exactly comfortable, but currently there is no way for vorpX to distinguish between normal HUD elements and the Pipboy HUD elements.

Might make more sense to configure Xpadder in a way that makes the Pipboy usable with the gamepad.

acb5544
    Participant

Ok, makes sense. I’m using a wireless 360 controller with MS drivers.

Ya, I am using HUD scaling, set to 40% I think to get the other menus looking good and readable. I’ll experiment with the alt-mousewheel adjusement when in the pipboy, that might be part of the problem.

Can’t quite figure how to setup xpadder to allow full control of the pipboy with the gamepad. Other forums and example mappings indicate it might not be possible. The native support for the gamepad in fallout handles this behind the scenes, e..g LT/RT change between menus but have other functions when not in the pipboy. When 360 controller is disabled and the game goes to keyboard/mouse controls, I don’t think there’s a dedicated, mappable button set for pipboy menu navigation.

Last night I just ran it w/out headtracking using native 360 controller support through the game and it was pretty awesome. Head tracking and gamepad would be best since I always played this game with a gamepad and find it easier than hunting for keys with the oculus on, but considering this game was never meant for VR it’s hard to complain too much considering that in general it does work mostly OK.

Makes one appreciate the thought that went into the detailed mapping configuration options that went into a game like Elite Dangerous, and all the other things they did to allow smooth operation in VR.

It’s going to be awesome when more games build in official support. Let’s hope fallout 4 is 1) as good as I’m hoping it will be and 2) has decent support for playing in VR. Apparently it’s supposed to be officially announced some time this year.

Karlor
    Participant

One way to make the pipboy easier to navigate is a mnod called pipboy menu tabbing hotkeys:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50870/?

This one is for NV but there mite be a Fallout 3 equivalent. It lets you navigate the menus with your movement keys. Also in the forums a guy mentioned that 3 of the “F” buttons are already mapped to the menus I just don’t remember what f buttons they are.
    If you cant find a Fallout 3 mod that does the same thing you could probably get someone who knows the GECK to port it maybe.

I use a controller but I remap it all to keyboard and mouse to better work with vorpX setup (and a lot of mods don’t have controller options anyway). I use 2 PlayStation move navigation controllers but the set up is still more or less the same idea as a 360 controller.

Karlor
    Participant

A tip that could help you out is go to Fallout 3 nexus and just go over the list of UI mods. It mite take a bit but there are all sorts of not so popular mods that work great in a VR environment.

Bethesda is having their very own(and first) E3 thingy this year so fingers crossed! I want Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2.

acb5544
    Participant

Good tips, thanks. Sorry for the delayed response, got busy with work (and playing elite!)

Hopefully none require FOSE. Some people seem to be running things like iHud that require FOSE but vorpx never hooks when I try to launch using the scipt extender.

Karlor
    Participant

I haven’t tried FOSE yet but I use NVSE and the 4GB patch and then it launched. I also may have fiddled with the excluded programs in vorpX but I don’t remember. I do know that around the first time I tried vorpX it wouldn’t hook with the version of NVSE I had then I updated everything and added the 4GB patch and it does. It launches with the patch so maybe try that with Fallout 3.

acb5544
    Participant

Ok, the FOSE issue was my fault. The fose loader wouldn’t run b/c I removed the d3d9.dll file that it needs when I was trying to troubleshoot the general inability to run the game at all through vorpx earlier. I put the fose files all back fresh into the folder where fallout3.exe lives and now it will launch from the script extender and is rendered on the rift fine.

This is great b/c many of the UI mods require the script extender.

I’ll report back if I get a good working 360 controller setup that allows reasonably easy pipboy navigation.

And yes, I’m anxiously awaiting the E3 event too. Should be good regardless of what they show there, but I think a lot of us are hoping for fallout 4 news!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!