Fallout 3 VATS

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fallout 3 VATS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bjr84
    Participant

Hey,
    Love Vorpx Thank you!
    Im having trouble with Fallout 3 where VATS isn’t working (RB on Xbox One controller) but its “intermittent”. Let me explain “intermittent” – I noticed after trial and error that if I start the game and the controller is defaulted (i.e. no mouse pointer, just use controller at the start-up screen) then all works fine. But if the mouse pointer is there (i.e. mouse and keyboard default?) then VATS doesn’t work with RB (im thinking its being overridden by the keyboard/mouse setup).
    (I have the controller option in Vorpx set to “Auto”).

I cant seem to replicate these two different scenarios – i.e. controller vs. keyboard/mouse ‘default’ (or so that’s what I’m calling it). I’ve tried to force the game to run in Big Picture mode (as the controller should be default that way) but I get an error – something isn’t playing nice – Big Picture or Vorpx. Anyhow.

I deleted the .INI file (and had it autogenerate at startup) and that seemed to work the first time I ran the game after deletion (i.e. VATS worked fine) but then when I edited the .INI file to fix that Windows 10 freeze issue, it ‘went back?’ to keyboard default. I will replicate again by deleting the ini file and this time not modifying the file to deal with the freeze issue, and will report back. But either way, I feel like this level of troubleshoot shouldn’t be necessary to correct the problem im experiencing. Gotta be something in the game/controller settings or Vorpx settings to default the Xbox One controller instead of Auto?

Ben

bjr84
    Participant

So, naturally, I post this issue late in troubleshooting and I end up getting it to work hours after posting… The fix was the same fix as that for Half-Life 2 that others are experiencing now (Fall 2019); run the game without SteamVR running.

So open Steam & Vorpx (didn’t play with this order but I’m sure either way is fine), have the xbox one controller turned on and connected to PC (for me, via bluetooth) and simply run the game from Steam. Allow SteamVR to open itself (vorpx will hook to the exe as well at that time); select options on the splash-screen, and enjoy (FINALLY!!).

(I was having trouble with Half-Life 2 and reviewing the forum gave me the idea to try running without SteamVR running and it solved my Half-Life 2 problems as well. Hopefully this lasts long enough for me to play these games :)

Hope this helps :)

Ben
    https://andallwasbright.bandcamp.com

bjr84
    Participant

This issue started again, only now i understand it more..
    when i run the game when SteamVR is running, the game runs keyboard and mouse as default for some reason. when i run the game from steam without SteamVR running, 95% of the time, it does that same thing – kb/mouse default. but every once in a while it defaults to controller, and im good. its something wonkie with when steamVR runs and during hooking. the game stops at the start up screen and i have to alt+tab to select the game window and then, and there, the pc decides if its default kb/mouse or controller. one time when defaulted to kb/mouse, i pressed something (dont know what) and an in-game screen came up and said something about switching to controller, and it worked.. not sure how to replicate that.. alt+L?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!