Fallout 4?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Karlor
    Participant

I haven’t been paying to much attention to my oculus and the vorpX forums sense Fallout 4… I was wondering has vorpX updated to G3D profile for Fallout 4? I know it’s demanding system wise and all that but I would like to give it a go. If the performance isn’t so hot on my system with G3D I’ll start modding until I get it tuned it. Anyway waiting to start another round until I can play with G3D and the Oculus… Any word on the positional tracking with Z3D?

modelmode
    Participant

I feel your pain. I think Raif is waiting for Bethesda to release the official mod support tool functionality. I think but I dunno.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The performance hit of the Fallout 4 G3D profile is ~50% compared to Z3D. You’ll need an *extremely* beefy machine to make this at least barely playable, and even with that it’s far from ideal. Even the fastest machines available today have to rely on async timewarp heavily, which is not how things should be.

With the recommended Oculus specs (decent i5/i7, GTX 970) and medium settings it’s halfway playable in most interiors (>45fps raw performance), but often dips below 30fps outside (in some parts of the map even below 20fps), which isn’t really enough even with async timewarp. For comparison: 75fps are ideal for DK2, 90fps for CV1. A faster GPU helps, but not as much as one would think. As with all Bethesda RPGs, the CPU is as much a limiting factor as the GPU.

I don’t have a date yet for the next vorpX version that will include this, but there probably (BUT NOT NECESSARILY!) will be another update before the CV1 is released.

Karlor
    Participant

I hear you, I bet its a major performance hit. I’m not expecting performance but at least a G3d profile would be nice. That way anyone who is into trying it can start tuning it in. I want to have the profile so I can experiment with different texture builds to see what performance I can squeeze out. Also when the GECK comes out I’m sure there will be a bunch of in-depth performance mods that will get the memory consumption down.

I will probably take a whack at modding the open world to be less open if that makes sense. Close up a lot of the open buildings and make them have their own separate interior spaces (more like old Bethesda games).

Anyway a hot fix or mini update to include the option to mess with a G3D profile? If you can get just the functionality to work like it does in Skyrim/New Vegas then let us worry about how to get the frames on our particular machines.

You did such a great job with the other Bethesda titles I’m looking forward to trying it out in Fallout 4. Remember I just want the functionality, I’m not expecting you to somehow make the game run or perform better.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Feature wise the Fallout 4 G3D profile is on par with Skyrim, that much I can say. So you can indeed look forward to it (provided you have a GTX 980Ti or Titan GPU).

Regarding the next version there is nothing else to share currently than what was said above though, sorry: there *might* be another update before the CV1 is released, but that hasn’t been decided yet.

Karlor
    Participant

I look forward to it! Sounds like it should be a kick in the pants at least just to try it out. I have the first Titan so it will put up a fight but I’m sure it’ll be smokin after some VR tests :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!