Fallout 4 – Crash with Oculus, Jittery with Steam

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fallout 4 – Crash with Oculus, Jittery with Steam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Been trying to play FO4 recently, and I noticed that I cannot run it with Oculus selected in VorpX, it throws an Oculus runtime error LibOVT or something like that. If I switch to Steam, the game runs, but its quite jittery in 3rd person, mostly fine in 1st person, but some jitters. Switching Old vs New does nothing, nor does changing the sync options.
    Any suggestions? Is this Oculus mode crash a new thing?

dborosev
    Participant

Oh, and this isn’t a framerate issue, its running at 80fps.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I can say for sure that there is no problem with FO4 and native Oculus mode. Incidentally despite a VR version being available it’s still one of my very regular test cases over here for various reasons that I fire up several times per week. Only DX12 and native Oculus don’t play along currently. There also shouldn’t be any jitter issues, regardless of the VR API used.

If you happen to have any mods installed, please try without as your first trouble shooting step. Especially if you use any graphics enhancing mods that also hook into the graphics pipeline. Also resetting the vorpX profile to default in the config app is worth a shot, especially in case you changed any of the sync related settings on the display page of the vorpX menu.

Being on board for so long you probably already did these basic steps as well as checking for other potential conflicts. I just had to mention them, as a lot of potential problems are solvable that way.

Do you recall the error message? Just knowing that there was some error unfortunately doesn’t help much in trying to figure out what the problem is. Might be that the call which initialitzes the Oculus runtime failed, but that’s just a wild guess without knowing the actual error message. That definitely should not happen and would point to some more general problem.

dborosev
    Participant

Hmm, troubleshooting it, I seem to have gotten past the oculus runtime error that VorpX was producing in Oculus mode. No idea which thing did it, maybe oculus software was in a bad state. But still very jittery in 3rd person view when playing the game. Maybe jittery isn’t the right word. More like the camera is rendering from a different location for 1-2 frames every second or two.
    I’ll continue to play with it and see if I can narrow down what could be causing the camera freak outs in 3rd person.
    Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I see, that’s probably related to the FOV being applied via the memory scanner, which might not work right in third person. Since FOV sits on a memory location that stays the same between game starts, it’s pre-cached and active without running the scanner. You can turn off DirectVR FOV on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu if you want to play in third person.

Just curious: why would you want to play in third person? DirectVR is great in FO4, even providing positional tracking.

dborosev
    Participant

Ok I can give that a try this week and see if it works. Its no biggie if I can’t figure it out, its just mildly irritating when I am in 3rd person mode.
    Haha I’m surprised someone as deeply knowledgeable about peoples diverse gaming preferences as you are would ask. :) We all have our quirks and prefs.
    For bethesda games in particular, I like to play 3rd person sometimes because a) The character customization, armors, etc, can be a lot of fun, which you can’t see in 1st person. b) Sneaking in bethesda games – 3rd person gives you a little extra camera maneuverability to see around corners slighly, move around your character, see them pulling off an assasination, etc.
    So I like to switch between 1st and 3rd person depending on what I’m doing.
    Cheers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Understandable, that’s just not was the profile is made for. It’s one of the profiles that provide an as-close-as-possible to native VR experience without having to configure anything at all. Typically you just start the game (maybe raise the resolution), run the scanner and everything works.

If you want something entirely else than that, that’s possible for sure, but you are a bit more on your own in that case and you (obviously) will have to disable DirectVR for the game. Although honestly that would be a real shame here – and many other cases. Pretty much means throwing away half of what vorpX can do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!