Fallout 4 vorpx vs fallout 4 vr

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Fallout 4 vorpx vs fallout 4 vr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    erised
    Participant

Hey all,

Downloaded and played fallout 4 vr for 2 hours this morning. Ive also played 10 hours of fallout 4 vorpx (ideally configured with custom 8:9 ar resolution.

Lets compare experiences shall we?!? Im running a gtx 6gb 1060 and am not here to slam vorpx. As you will see, i was actually shocked by how well vorpx competes.

Visual quality: Pretty much the same across both versions. Fallout 4 vr has the graphics preconfigured to the settings that i found work best in vorpx. A little less jaggies at distance in the vr version but is a little more blurry at longer distances (looks like they are using a pseudo aa technique also found in mankind divided).
    – About a tie as you cant tweak anything in vr version.

3d effect: vr version depth is a mix between vorpx geometry and v normal in potency. However the depth between objects is much more subtle (a good thing as i find vorpx pops a little unnaturally). – About 30% better in vr version.

Resolution: vr version uses your monitors set resolution so you arent forced into anything (unlike most vr made games). This is very nice as it allows you to set a custom 8:9 resolution just like vorpx! Max quality with least performance hit. – Tie here.

Controls: this is where the vr version shines.
    Having complete control over the guns makes combat amazing. Combine this with the movement option for direct movement, and you can pull off intense firefights. Direct movement is similar to skyrim vr. You point your controller in the direction you want to run and press forward. This allows you to look around while running (great immersion) and is great for combat as you can run one way and look over your shoulder to fire. However vorpx gets major points for being able to customize the touch/wands controls (cant do iy in fallout vr)- Vr version wins here but man i miss vorpx tweaking.

Stability: Fallout vr is buggy as hell. Typical bethesda release but once you get going it is launching, running and closing very consistently. Vorpx unsurprisingly is a little less stable but within striking distance. – Fallout vr wins here but points to vorpx for being close.

Usability: you cant play fallout vr sitting down, nor with anything other than the vive wands or oculus touch. You cant tweak any major graphics settings or any controls with vr version – Major win to vorpx here

Overall, id say vorpx fallout 4 is about 80% of the experience of fallout vr, but has some strengths that fallout vr doesnt have. If you took away hand tracking i would actually say they are about even.

At the end of the day if you put in the time to tweak vorpx fallout 4 to perfection then i would say save your 60 bucks. If, however, having gun presence (no hands, floating guns for some lazy reason) is huge for you (and it is for me, shooters feel so much better and immersive) and you want to support future AAA ports to vr then it is worth picking up.

Cheers
    Erised

steph12
    Participant

thank you for your instructive feedback, it’s very welcome.
    it’s amazing to see how good vorpx is, even when compared to a full AAA vr game made by an amazing company, and with vorpx you can play too so many others games.

i bought fallout 4 VR, but i didnt play it, but i want to support bethesda, i hope next elderscroll game will be Vr ready at release :D yeah yeah i know i’m a dreamer but who knows! anyway have fun in fo4 VR !

superretro2010
    Participant

I wonder if it’s possible to make hand movements for games on vorp x that alone would be insanely fantastic especially while playing skyrim or new vagas and fallout 3

Ralf
    Keymaster

Your wish will become reality shortly (before Christmas). Animated hands as controller visualization are in the next vorpX version. Be aware though that this a purely graphical feature. It won’t allow you to actually pick objects or do similar things.

As you suggest still great for enhancing immersion, especially with Oculus Touch controllers, which were designed with animated hands in mind. It also works with Vive wands, but there are less possibilities for animating hand poses in that case.

steph12
    Participant

nice ! that will definitively add to the immersion. it gets harder and harder to wait for the release, does all go well still ?

alegse
    Participant

I have been playing Skyrim VorpX sincd DK2 days and now I am playing Falskaar mod which is cool. Jumping from Borvald siege in VR was a highlight. I was looking forward to official Bethesda VR but seems like the releases so far have been not so good. VorpX Skyrim in interiors with direct VR and good resolution/up-scaling is basically as good as any native VR title. Exteriors are sometimes perfect and otherwise good/playable but can never keep a steady 90fps in G3D (even with GTX1080 and intel i7440k). To be honest my experience in Fallout 4 Vorpx was not so good, I found it ran worse and looked worse in both G3D and Z3D compared to Skyrim.

@Ralf: I am excited about the update and I like the idea of moving hands. As of now I like to disable the floating controllers because they just don’t make sense in the world of skyrim. How will they work with guns/weapons drawn??? It will look kind of odd with a floating hand over the guns in fallout 4 or over the sword/bow in Skyrim? Is there any way possible to make the hands disappear when weapon is drawn? Also is there any plans for customization of hands? Ex. gloves/gauntlets man/woman ect???? Or will they be more like the ethereal blue floating hands from oculus home?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The animated hands are another controller viz, there is no logic that binds them to any actions in the game in any way. Might be something for the future, but as always: no promises. The shader looks similar to the Oculus Home hands in general, the base color is slightly modulated by the current scene color though, so they fit in a bit better visually.

prinyo
    Participant

Speaking of the controllers, I really hope the next update will add additional rebinding options or an option to turn off some bindings.
    I really wanted to play using the Vive wands, however there is a camera control attached to the trackpad that can’t be disabled and that makes the experience annoying and disorienting.

The FO4VR saves are compatible between the flat game and the VR port so I’m planning to switch between FO4VR and VorpX depending on if I feel like playing standing or laying down. Just need to be careful to run the same mods with the same settings on both.
    One thing I’m sure after several hours in the vanilla VR port is that I’m no longer excited about a potential Skyrim port made by Bethesda. I’m hoping that as time goes on and more modders become VR users we will see more VorpX related mods for the older Bethesda games.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In keyboard/mouse mode you can change the controller’s pad sensitivty to 0.0 if you want to disable camera movement with the trackpads.

The UI for gamepad mode however is kept simple by choice, and I’d like to keep it that way. In many games you should be able to achieve what you want by setting the thumbstick sensitivity to 0 in the game options if you really want to do that.

prinyo
    Participant

In keyboard/mouse mode you can change the controller’s pad sensitivty to 0.0 if you want to disable camera movement with the trackpads.

You mean this will disable the camera movements that are provoked by touching (not pressing) the trackpad? I’ll give it a try tonight.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It should at least. If not, let me know.

prinyo
    Participant

Tested it again last night.
    The problem is with the arrow buttons that are hardcoded to the right touchpad. Yes, you can turn down the sensitivity but then you are left with no arrow keys at all, including in the VorpX menu.
    The best solution for me would be swap the default and alt mappings for the right touchpad so the R, Q and the other buttons are active by default and the arrows are only when the left grip is pressed.
    I tried to set it up myself, but the arrows seems are hardcoded and there is no way to rebind them.

The problem with the current setup is that the arrows fight with the headset for the viewing direction and are really easy to trigger.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m still not sure whether I really get your issue, tested for quite a while myself when the controller support was originally done, but if swapping the default/shift mapping is straight forward to implement, I’ll add that for the Christmas release. Otherwise it will have to wait for the next maintenance release afterwards.

prinyo
    Participant

Cool, thanks!

quisutdeus
    Participant

Hey all,

Downloaded and played fallout 4 vr for 2 hours this morning. Ive also played 10 hours of fallout 4 vorpx (ideally configured with custom 8:9 ar resolution.

Lets compare experiences shall we?!? Im running a gtx 6gb 1060 and am not here to slam vorpx. As you will see, i was actually shocked by how well vorpx competes.

Visual quality: Pretty much the same across both versions. Fallout 4 vr has the graphics preconfigured to the settings that i found work best in vorpx. A little less jaggies at distance in the vr version but is a little more blurry at longer distances (looks like they are using a pseudo aa technique also found in mankind divided).
    – About a tie as you cant tweak anything in vr version.

3d effect: vr version depth is a mix between vorpx geometry and v normal in potency. However the depth between objects is much more subtle (a good thing as i find vorpx pops a little unnaturally). – About 30% better in vr version.

Resolution: vr version uses your monitors set resolution so you arent forced into anything (unlike most vr made games). This is very nice as it allows you to set a custom 8:9 resolution just like vorpx! Max quality with least performance hit. – Tie here.

Controls: this is where the vr version shines.
    Having complete control over the guns makes combat amazing. Combine this with the movement option for direct movement, and you can pull off intense firefights. Direct movement is similar to skyrim vr. You point your controller in the direction you want to run and press forward. This allows you to look around while running (great immersion) and is great for combat as you can run one way and look over your shoulder to fire. However vorpx gets major points for being able to customize the touch/wands controls (cant do iy in fallout vr)- Vr version wins here but man i miss vorpx tweaking.

Stability: Fallout vr is buggy as hell. Typical bethesda release but once you get going it is launching, running and closing very consistently. Vorpx unsurprisingly is a little less stable but within striking distance. – Fallout vr wins here but points to vorpx for being close.

Usability: you cant play fallout vr sitting down, nor with anything other than the vive wands or oculus touch. You cant tweak any major graphics settings or any controls with vr version – Major win to vorpx here

Overall, id say vorpx fallout 4 is about 80% of the experience of fallout vr, but has some strengths that fallout vr doesnt have. If you took away hand tracking i would actually say they are about even.

At the end of the day if you put in the time to tweak vorpx fallout 4 to perfection then i would say save your 60 bucks. If, however, having gun presence (no hands, floating guns for some lazy reason) is huge for you (and it is for me, shooters feel so much better and immersive) and you want to support future AAA ports to vr then it is worth picking up.

Cheers
    Erised

Thanks for useful info. I played a bit my steam Fallout 4 with vorpX and it is indeed great experience. However since I don’t like this game in general and on top of it my GTX970 is loosing frames with that game I switched to Fallout NV and vorpX here is just perfect – such great performance even with dozen mods installed including flora enhancement etc etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!