Fallout 76 frame rate

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fallout 76 frame rate

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    skynet24x
    Participant

Vive pro
    i7-3770k
    Gtx-1080ti
    Windows 7

FPS: Game 30, Headset 90

At the moment, I get a frame rate of 27-33 while moving. If you stand on the floor, then 45. The fact is that by reducing the screen resolution or the settings by half, I get an increase of only 10-15%. Is this normal for my system?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you have Geometry 3D enabled, probably yes. Keep in mind that everything has to be drawn twice with G3D, roughly cutting the framerate in half. Also vorpX increases the field of view of the game to match the FOV of your headset, which also involves extra work since more stuff has to be drawn. On top that there is a little overhead for rendering to the headset due to some snycing between headset and game.

All this extra work typically makes demanding games CPU limited with Geometry G3D, although at 4K you might also be GPU limited. If you are OK with that, switch to Z3D in the vorpX menu, which is way less demanding since it comes without the need to draw everything twice. If you want G3D and higher framerates with a game that demading, there is no way around reducing graphics details further.

BTW: Although not exactly comfortable, vorpX makes it possible to play at framerates below half the headset’s refresh rate if you can stand it. Most native apps would end up in a jittery mess when you try that.

skynet24x
    Participant

I use z-normal.
    According to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbnq9xn4ZI , the average FPS should be 86 at a quality of 1440. But when I set this quality, I have nothing much to change, an increase of 5% no more.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Indeed, with Z3D performance should be better. I would suggest to reset everything to default, game options as well as vorpX profile (can be done in the config app) and check whether that makes a difference. Maybe you have some option enabled somewhere that causes a huge performance hit.

skynet24x
    Participant

Windows 7 can not be the reason? or old processor?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Windows 7 is always a bad idea when it comes to VR, Windows 10 has a bunch of VR related under-the-hood improvements. Oculus doesn’t support Windows 7 at all anymore, Valve (SteamVR) don’t care anymore if things work with it or not according to their own support. I don’t think that’s the reason for your issue, but it’s time to say Goodbye to Windows 7 anyway, as many valid reasons as you may have for sticking to some 10 years old OS.

Try resetting everything to default first though, it’s more likely that there is some settings related issue. The performance impact of Z3D should usually be fairly small, no matter what OS you use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!