Far Cry 3 + 4 not working with newest vorpx

Homepage Forums Technical Support Far Cry 3 + 4 not working with newest vorpx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    markus3776
    Participant

first of all, merry christmas to all.
    I don’t know exactly if the problem is with me but since the latest vorpx update Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 no longer works. The games do not start when vorpx is active. Works fine without vorpx. Maybe it’s also because of my new HP Reverb G2.
    I always played with the Pimax 8k+ before. A few weeks ago everything still worked. Kingdome Come, F1 2019 and ARMA 3 work fine.
    I would also like to thank Ralf for the great piece of software. I have been using vorpx since the DK2 time. Was the best purchase I have ever made

Ralf
    Keymaster

Assuming by ‘no longer works’ you mean that vorpX doesn’t hook into the game anymore:

First please try installing a hook helper and switching to alternative hooking. The ‘Attaching to…’ dialog should offer these options after about a minute or so of waiting. Both options can help without getting to the bottom of the matter.

If neither using a hook helper nor the alternative hooking method helps, check for conflicting background programs on your PC that also hook into games. That’s almost always the reason for hooking problems. The trouble shooting guide on top of this sub forum has more detail.

markus3776
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    thanks for your reply. I’ve already tried to install the hook helper. It asked what kind of directx version game it is. After choosing DirectX 10/11 a success dialog appears but the game won’t start. All I see is the Far Cry 3 logo an the screen. Two things changed since the last time I played Far Cry:
    – I use the HP Reverb G2 with WMR Portal
    – a new vorpx version was installed
    Does ist work for you? Maybe you can try this out when you get a chance. It is not so urgent. Enjoy Christmas Day

Ralf
    Keymaster

Works fine for me here using the Uplay (Ubisoft Connect) version and vorpX in SteamVR mode. There also haven’t really been any changes to DX11 hooking, so chances that an issue in that regard have been introduced with the last update are fairly slim.

Just in case: if you (unnecessarily) happen to use any other antivirus program than Windows Defender, consider getting rid of it. Windows Defender is more than good enough for several years now.

Ogrescar
    Participant

I just started up Far Cry 4 and the only issue I had was the “attaching to…” dialog popping up before the game had finished initializing. Ignoring it or selecting “do nothing” works, for me anyway – don’t have a G2/WMR setup.

vintager
    Participant

Hi markus,

FC3/4 integration is broken–this has already been reported by multiple people. Don’t expect any support from the developer though, the only thing you’ll get will be quotes from the manual and subtle hints that you or your system are at fault.

The first thing you need to know is that for FC3/4, it will take an insane amount of time to hook; I’m talking 5 minutes at least. You just have to be patient.

Then, after Vorpx updates the config, you have to kill the game and manually update the config file, setting the refresh rate to 0. Follow the directions from this post:

https:// http://www.vorpx.com/ forums/ topic/ far-cry-4-black-screen/ page/ 2/ #post-198112

markus3776
    Participant

Thank you very much for your replys.
    I have been using vorpx for many years without any major problems. I have also defined the appropriate exception in my antivirus program. Probably the combination with wmr has some effects that I did not have before.
    Thanks vintager, I will try that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ markus: You shouldn’t have to do any of the above. Far Cry 3 should hook right away without any problems, FC4 has the good old occasional black screen issue when switching to the first menu screen, which can be circumvented by running the game windowed and if necessary trying a few times. Unfortunately I was never able to reliably reproduce that here.

If you use any other AV program than Windows Defender, please first and foremost try to remove it entirely for testing purposes. Adding an exception to the actual scanner portion may not be enough. Some more invasive AV programs can’t really be fully disabled unless you remove them. Since your issue started to occur recently seemingly out of the blue, it’s quite likely that it is caused by an AV program. There is no risk involved in removing invasive third party AV on Windows 10, which has a built in AV solution that is more than good enough for several years now.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update: You can grab a slightly modified FC4 profile from the cloud that *might* work better in regard to the notorious black-screen-before-first-menu glitch. You can import it on the cloud profiles page of the config app, name: Far Cry 4 [vorpX].

Since the issue only occured every now and then for me anyway, I’m better a bit careful what I say, but as far as I can tell the modified one seems to work 100% reliably. Switching the game to windowed might still make sense if you encounter issues running it fullscreen.

markus3776
    Participant

after waiting for about 8 minutes (Far Cry 3 logo on screen, Hook Helper apears and Í selected “do nothing”) the loading screen came up. When I selected Continue from the main menu, I ended up back in Steam Home. I can play Kingdome Come, Crysis 3, Arma 3 and various other games without any problems. So I can hardly imagine that my AV software is the reason. Nevertheless, I will try to disable the AV software.
    Very sad because I played mainly Far Cry 3.
    @Ralf: I will try the Far Cry 4 profile when I get a chance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is definitely something getting in the way if you experience an issue like that. Both games should hook normally and I’m fairly confident that the ages old FC4 black screen glitch is also gone with the updated profile.

vintager
    Participant

Just an observation: both me and markus are running the Steam version of the game(s) on an WMR headset (Samsung Odyssey+ in my case).

markus3776
    Participant

I tried several different things yesterday:
    – virus scanner, afterburner etc. deactivated
    – Vorpx factory reset
    – downloaded the far cry 4 (vorpx) profile
    – Far cry 3 +4 windowed mode

Unfortunately without success. With Far Cry 3 +4 it takes a long time with vorpx until the main menu appears. With Far Cry 4 I gave up after 20 minutes. Far Cry 3 quits immediately when a save game is loaded. @ vintager: I don’t have the steam version. I have to start it through Ubisoft Connect.
    I didn’t tried to set the refresh rate to 0 (have forgot it). I will try that this evening.
    Then I have to play Arma 3. That works perfectly.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Don’t want to sound like a broken record, but if you use anything else than Windows Defender, please try to REMOVE your AV software for testing purposes. Some more invasive AV programs can’t really be fully disabled unless you remove them. There is no risk involved in removing invasive third party AV on Windows 10, which has a built in AV solution that is more than good enough for several years now.

Apart from that: two last things you might want to try are a full vorpX factory reset and if that doesn’t help resetting your PC to the state from before your issue started to occur.

I’m out of ideas otherwise, sorry. Both games work perfectly fine here, FC3 always did, FC4 also does 100% reliably with yesterday’s modified profile that addresses the occasional black screen issue. Checked on two different machines.

markus3776
    Participant

Thank you very much for your effort, Ralf. I already did the factory reset. No prblem, there are enough other great games that I can play with vorpx.
    There are just too many variables that prevent something from not working as it should.
    In my opinion vorpx is an absolute must buy for every VR fan. Keep up the good work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!