Feature Idea for EdgePeek Uses

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Feature Idea for EdgePeek Uses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TheBalt
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

I am not entirely sure if anyone plays games similiarily to how I do, but my typical scenario; if a game doesnt support HUD resizing/location changing, I pretty much play the game in FullVR mode, and when I must toggle through menus/select options/move items/etc; I go to EdgePeek and make my selections and changes there (could be selecting items for inventory, could be selecting dialog options, or just using menus, etc)

But a bump in the road I have playing like this is Headtracking being enabled for the FullVR view makes navigating menus difficult. The headset is acting as a mouse, as it should, and it conflicts with my controller when trying to select options/items in menus once I go to EdgePeek.

I was wondering if there was a possibility of adding a “No HeadTracking in EdgePeek mode” option to the Vorpx In Game Menu, so that if we are using EdgePeek to navigate menus, the headset will not conflict with the controller and we could more easily move through game menus, before jumping back into the game in FullVR.

Im actually not sure if this is already a feature or not, but if it is, I’d appreciate a heads up on where to change that. If its not – wanted to get the community’s input on the idea.

Basically – an option to turn off Headtracking entirely when you switch to EdgePeek in the Vorpx In Game Menu, allowing us to set it on a per game basis.

Thank you for your time and thanks for your hard work, Ralf. Ive spent 10x the amount of time in Vorpx with VR than in actual VR games, I appreciate this project and just wanted to toss this idea out there, if its doable (or already exists)

Take care everyone and be safe!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s more complex than it may look at first sight since when you get back out of EdgePeek you want to still look into the right direction, not into the sky while your head looks down or vice versa. Would be easy enough with DirectVR head tracking, but for mouse/gamepad emulation tracking vorpX would have to track/cache the movement while in EdgePeek mode and then apply the tracked movement after leaving EdgePeek. One of those things that sit on the neat-but-not-overly-important-stuff-list for ages already. I may (or may not) do some experiments in that regard at some point.

TheBalt
    Participant

That’s more complex than it may look at first sight since when you get back out of EdgePeek you want to still look into the right direction, not into the sky while your head looks down or vice versa. Would be easy enough with DirectVR head tracking, but for mouse/gamepad emulation tracking vorpX would have to track/cache the movement while in EdgePeek mode and then apply the tracked movement after leaving EdgePeek. One of those things that sit on the neat-but-not-overly-important-stuff-list for ages already. I may (or may not) do some experiments in that regard at some point.

Hey Ralf!

Thanks for the thorough explanation, I now understand why that might be a bit more difficult than I had thought it would be. How you guys figure this stuff out at all is mindblowing to me, lol. I dont understand any of this stuff whatsoever.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it. Whatever you feel like is best for the program, I’ve learned to trust you know what is priority vs not priority. Hope youve been well and thanks again for your work.

Take care and be safe, looking forward to getting some next gen titles on Vorpx… once the game companies start actually releasing them. lol

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!