Flickering issue in Skyrim (Oldrim)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Flickering issue in Skyrim (Oldrim)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dagonbeer
    Participant

Hi folks, finally decided to try vorpx in original (non SSE) Skyrim. Everything works well! Performance is decent even on my aging R290. I’m perfectly happy to sacrifice some eye candy in exchange for a better facsimile of a living, breathing world in VR.

One issue I’m unable to resolve so far is flickering that occurs just around the edges where transparency (or reflection?) occurs. So around the edges of a boat or weeds sitting over the water, or the mountains in the distance behind the fog. I’ve read that some people were able to resolve this by turning of reflections, but no luck for me (although perhaps there’s a particular .ini switch — I merely turned off the 4 water reflection checkboxes in the launcher options.)

It only happens with the vorpx driver on, and it happens even in the mirrored version on the monitor.

I’ve also read that it may be due to high fps(?) although it’s more likely that’s a different issue entirely.

Any help would be much appreciated!

dagonbeer
    Participant

I did some more research and tried the following things:

– Disable all shadows
    – Try to alleviate z-fighting by changing fblocklevelxdistance settings
    – cap framerate
    – enable/disable vsync

None of which worked. What happens is that whenever you turn, anything that is over/near? transparency/fog? or water, the edge kind of drags and stays there. See this image:

View post on imgur.com

The edge of the boat gets kind of a shadow image when I turn; if I stop at the right time,t hat shadow image stays there until I turn some more.

This only seems to happen with geometry 3d; I tried adaptive Z and the problem went away (instead I get kind of a blurry, messy area at the bottom of my view; but I really want geometry 3d anyway.)

Any help would be appreciated!

dagonbeer
    Participant

Here’s one more picture to illustrate the issue. This one’s in potato quality, since I lowered the resolution and tried full screen to see if it has any impact.

View post on imgur.com

dagonbeer
    Participant

Heh, last post of the night. Unless someone has some insight, I’m out of ideas in terms of fixing geometry 3d. So I tried Z-adaptive. The 3D effect is not as pronounced, no flicker, but I get these weird bars. Any ideas?

View post on imgur.com

nieda113
    Participant

ref flickering. I do have flickering in G3D as well.I found it got worse using direct vr.So u should try to set fov manually with console command, that almost eliminates all flickering. OT. I had some strange flickering in Fallout4 if i switch to third person mode when aiming.. that was due to vorpx tried to adjust fov back to first person fov even i was in third person mode. Its all related to fov play with that and u might find a sweet spot.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ nieda: If you enabled the experimental positional Direct VR in Skyrim (which is disabled per default) please disable it again. The default Rotation/FOV Direct VR should not cause any flickering, but the experimental positional Direct VR may.

Normal positional tracking is still available without positional Direct VR, of course. So you don’t lose much.

dagonbeer
    Participant

Thanks for the replies nieda113 and Ralf! I tried playing with directvr off and just tinker with the FOV, but I still get the flickering. I’m assuming it’s some odd interaction between my video card and vorpx, no matter. I like G3D better, but Z3D is fine too.

The other problem I mentioned with Z3D was because I had the vorpx super sampling on, and it’s working flawlessly now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!