Fluid Sync vs. async: what’s the differences?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Fluid Sync vs. async: what’s the differences?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    broksampson
    Participant

Wanted to know how these affect frame timing because it seems like fluidsync drops it to 45fps? Is that correct?

Why does the async option seem to make games so much more fluid than the fluidsync?

Also, ralf was wondering if you had any plans to push performance mediation further.

Thanks
    Love the software!
    -one of the growing community of people that defend vorpX as a great software

Ralf
    Keymaster

FluidSync indeed mainly caps the game framerate at half the headset’s refresh rate. It’s a bit of a matter of taste, but personally I prefer that over fluctuating framerates when 90fps can’t be reached reliably. The default (‘Auto’) switches it on/off depending on how close the game is to potentially reach 90fps, but you can safely turn it off entirely if you prefer that.

Async is a bit difficult to explain in a non-techie way, so bear with me: you have to imagine vorpX as two rendering processes in parallel: the game and as a second one the rendering to the headset. The async option defines wehther both are in-sync with each other or not. You should usually leave the async optin on, that allows the render to headset thread to run faster than the game.

Performance wise there are always some experiments but I can’t really share any details on ongoing development. In any case you shouldn’t expect wonders like magically doubled G3D framerates.

broksampson
    Participant

Have you experimented at all with positional frame extrapolation?

broksampson
    Participant

Or using … I think the z buffer or color buffer and reprojecting frames from that? Sorry for lack of knowledge :/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!