Focal point greater than 1.00?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Focal point greater than 1.00?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    youngneil1
    Participant

I would welcome it very much if the focal point could be pushed even more towards the user than the 1.00 (100) possible right now in the del settings menu. E.g. in Skyrim this would help with keeping NPC dialogue options from colliding with the game world while at the same time having a good eye separation.

Or is there already a possibility to enlarge this value by e.g. changing a certain ini file or some such?

youngneil1
    Participant

To improve chances of helping myself here, does anybody please know where, i.e. in which file(s) under which directory, vorpx stores the individual settings for each game?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Hi youngneil,

You can’t set values higher than their max values that are shown in the menus due to safety checks that are done when values are imported.

Under normal circumstances you shouldn’t touch the focal offset value unless you know 100% what you are doing :) . That’s why it’s an advanced setting that doesn’t show up normally. The technical term for this value is convergence, and it is pre-configured in a way that is correct for use in an HMD. Changing it might improve the GUI in Skyrim, but the cost for this is high: Stereo 3D is not displayed like it is supposed to be this way.

I’ll check whether it’s possible to exclude the Skyrim GUI from the 3D-calculations.

Hope that helps.

youngneil1
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

many thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I played around a lot with convergence when using non-VR 3d Vision tech.

For VR it likely will indeed all work very differently, but somehow it feels to me that the GUI is like a 2D element on a normal screen and I would like to have the convergence point set in a way to most objects (minus some real close, pointy stuff) does not collide with it, i.e. is displayed behind it).

Would be great if you could figure out something in that direction. Btw I have the focal point at max now (1.00) and it feels very good. I think it’s important to note that I also have quite a low eye separation right now, at 0.42.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yes, Geometry 3D Eye Separation is clearly too high in Skyrim (and various other games) per default. Something around 0.4-0.5 sounds perfectly reasonable. A last minute bug that somehow slipped in… The default values will be corrected with the next update.

youngneil1
    Participant

Good to know :-). It’s really tricky to get these values right in VR – much easier with a screen surface as reference ;-). In VR it’s much more about proportions feeling right.

I think Skyrim really shines with Vorpx btw. The EdgePeak is essential to play the game, with all of Skyrim’s different menues and text integrations into the hud/screen. Only gripe is shadow – strange thing is that even without HelixMod since patch 1.6 for Skyrim shadows work in stereo 3d. Wonder what’s causing the the complications for VR with Oculus (all other solutions like Vireio have that same problem). Thought it was related to the roll functionality, but I guess it roots deeper…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!