For Oculus Users – Possible performance boost with SteamVR Launched

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion For Oculus Users – Possible performance boost with SteamVR Launched

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TheBalt
    Participant

Hey guys,

So i dont know for sure – i didnt have fraps running or anything, but ive been playing Jedi Lost Order and ill be honest – my rig is vastly underpowered for actual VR. I got a good processor, i7 4930k, but my card is an overclocked 780 and i have 8 gigs of ram.

Anyways, as an oculus user running on lower than suggested hardware, my default is to always open the Oculus Debug Tool (use the search bar in windows to find it and go ahead and pin it to your dashboard)

So I always force Asychronus Timewarp 45fps locked because i know my computer cant do 75+ FPS.. but to my point about performance boost in Vorpx and potentially other games.

Ive been playing Jedi Lost Order, went so far as to go into the config files (the game only goes from Medium – high – epic, but actually has low options hidden in ini files in game directory or appdata, i dont remember)

ANYHOW, even with everything at 0, lowest possible graphical settings i was getting extreme judder… i had seen people complaining about the game optimization and kinda just accepted it and kept playing… then i just had an idea and tried it – and i wasnt running FRAPS or anything so i have no way to PROVE this..

But i actually found Launching Vorpx and telling on the ‘main vorpx page’ that youre running on a Vive, then, once you open Oculus VR, open Steam then Steam VR then launch game from Steam.

Im not sure if i was just in low impact areas or what- but the game went from chugging every 20-30 seconds to literal minutes of completely smooth gameplay.

im not sure if Valves timewarp options are maybe overriding and are ‘better’ than oculus’, but, this was an experience i had… if anyone has any oculus games theyre having trouble getting stable framerates – maybe try this trick and we can see as a community if we see a performance boost… but in my case, it could have been a placebo affect, but the game appeared to run MUCH smoother if i launched SteamVR (with oculus running in background) and telling Vorpx that i was using a Vive and not a CV1.

I dont know if this works or not, but wanted to throw it out there for other oculus users to test to see if they notice a difference

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX uses a new frame syncing method for Oculus headsets since the last release that is a bit of a double edged sword. While it is about 10% faster than the original one (that is still used for SteamVR), it’s choppier with very low framerates. Sounds very much as if that is what you are experiencing.

You can go back to the original method on Oculus with an .ini tweak that makes your headset behave the same in native Oculus mode as with SteamVR.

1. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX\Devices\Display
    2. Open Oculus.ini with a text editor
    3. Change iDmBufferGrabberSyncDX11 from 1 to 0 (near the bottom of the file)

Do NOT change the DX12 value! DX12 will not work correctly with the original method.

I might go back to the original method for DX11 per default in the next release, still in the process of deciding. Maybe the FPS gain wasn’t worth the side effects with very low FPS.

If you can’t see the C:\ProgramData folder, enable ‘Show Hidden files’ in Windows Explorer.

TheBalt
    Participant

vorpX uses a new frame syncing method for Oculus headsets since the last release that is a bit of a double edged sword. While it is about 10% faster than the original one (that is still used for SteamVR), it’s choppier with very low framerates. Sounds very much as if that is what you are experiencing.

You can go back to the original method on Oculus with an .ini tweak that makes your headset behave the same in native Oculus mode as with SteamVR.

1. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX\Devices\Display
    2. Open Oculus.ini with a text editor
    3. Change iDmBufferGrabberSyncDX11 from 1 to 0 (near the bottom of the file)

Do NOT change the DX12 value! DX12 will not work correctly with the original method.

I might go back to the original method for DX11 per default in the next release, still in the process of deciding. Maybe the FPS gain wasn’t worth the side effects with very low FPS.

If you can’t see the C:\ProgramData folder, enable ‘Show Hidden files’ in Windows Explorer.

Youre the best, Ralf, thanks, making that change now, i appreciate it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!