Frame capped at 45 on any setting

Homepage Forums Technical Support Frame capped at 45 on any setting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I’ve used the vorpx fps-counter and every game seems to hover around 44-45 in frame rate with or without Fluid Sync enable. The problem is that I still seem to get a lot of judder on any setting I choose, especially in SKyrim. Don’t know if spacewarp is not working or what the problem is, but changing the graphical settings doesn’t seem to help.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is Spacewarp in action. It automatically activates itself whenever it believes the GPU is too busy to maintain 90fps. Whenever that happens, (direct mode) fps is capped to half the display refresh rate by the Oculus runtime. The intermediate frame is then created in the runtime itself. With vopX’s two thread architecture that seems to happen a bit more often than necessary, but overall it’s still a good thing. 45(game)/45(direct mode) with ASW can feel better than for example 60(game)/90(direct mode) without.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Okay, makes sense. It still doesn’t feel very smooth. I get a lot of stutters. I’ll try to play with the settings some more.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Nothing beats true and steady 90fps. With vorpX that means 90/90. The most relevant value is the first (Game FPS), that is the actual game frame rate.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Thank, I tried with Z-adaptive and it runs smooth as butter at 45 fps, so it must be a coincidence that the games Iv’e tried in G3D hover in the low 40s. or maybe it dips down to lower than 45 and back again before the fps registers and thus stutters Just out of interest what games were you able to run well in G3D mode?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Depends VERY much on your GPU and your ingame detail settings and resolution used. Try games that are few years old (and aren’t notorious resource hogs like Skyrim). The original Bischock 1+2, Half-Life 2, Portal 2 for example.

I am aware that you probably don’t want to hear that, but for more demanding games use Z3D! It can’t be said often enough how much more important a smooth frame rate is compared to perfect Stereo 3D. Your brain gets used to that quickly. There are 18 visual cues that your brain can derive depth from, only three of them depend on stereo 3d (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception).

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Those are all great games. I also got New Vegas running great in Z-normal mode. It almost looks better this way, because the game has such weird proportions in the game world in true 3D.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!