Frame drops with Desktop Viewer

Homepage Forums Technical Support Frame drops with Desktop Viewer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NipOc
    Participant

Hi,
    my framerate is really low, when I use the desktop viewer.
    I get around 120-150 fps in Tomb Raider (Fraps), but the Fps in the Vorpx desktop viewer are as low as 20.
    When I turn async rendering on I get around 70 Game FPS and around 30-60 Direct Mode FPS.
    http://imgur.com/a/Ln9Lj

Ralf
    Keymaster

Async rendering should always be on. Turning it off actually causes a framerate loss, since all it does is synchronizing the two render threads to work one after the other, which makes things slower. The option is mainly meant for trouble shooting and should be left alone. Will probably get removed soon.

My assumption regarding your framerate issue is that vorpX probably also hooks into the game while you display it in the desktop viewer. Not sure how you even managed to do that :). Normally the desktop viewer should autmatically exit when vorpX hooks into a game.

The better way would be to launch the game without the desktop viewer and switch to Virtual Cinema Mode in the game. If for some reason you really want to play games in the desktop viewer, you have to disable the vorpX watcher (tray icon menu) after starting the desktop viewer.

NipOc
    Participant

The watcher was disabled and async rendering on.
    I noticed that the framerate problem gets better, when I have vsync enabled an constant 60 fps. But I still have stutters and as soon as the framerate changes the Direct Mode FPS drop even lower than Game FPS.

I use the Desktop Viewer mostly with Tridef, for games that aren’t supported by vorpx yet or dont have a geometry 3D profile, so virtual cinema mode is not an option. (The problem still persists without Tridef)

NipOc
    Participant

The same framedrop happens, when I turn the GPU Sync from Safest to Fast in games. The Direct Mode Fps falls under the Game Mode Fps and the Game gets really stuttery. So could this be a GPU syncing issue? (I have a GTX 970)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If the Direct Mode FPS fall below 75fps you will get judder, it has to be 75fps, not a single frame less. Normally reducing GPU load helps. There is a small performance enhancement guide in the help that lists the common things to try if they fall below 75fps.

Changing GPU Sync from to anything else than ‘Safest’ can cause all sorts of problems, including judder, frames freezing for several seconds and worse. That’s why ‘Safest’ is called ‘Safest’ ;). There are some games where changing this value can enhance framerate without ill side effects, but in the majority of cases it has to stay at ‘Safest’.

NipOc
    Participant

Thats my problem, the Direct Mode Fps fall below 75 while the Game FPS are still 60, 80 or even 150.
    This happens even when I have Safest selected.
    I mentioned Fast only, because I have the same symptoms Fast normally produces.
    Turning async rendering off solves the stuttering, but I have (of course) judder.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not really sure whether this is still related to trying to use the desktop viewer to play games, but if it is: the desktop viewer is not really meant to play games. Doing this is very inefficient compared to directly hooking a game, and there should be no reason to do that normally. The desktop viewer can’t do anything that’s not possible with playing the game directly in Virtual Cinema Mode.

NipOc
    Participant

I use the Desktop Viewer to play games with Tridef in 3D (for games that don’t have geometry 3D support in Vorpx) and it is not possible to use the “normal” Vorpx and Tridef at the same time since both are injectors.
    But I think I will just disable async rendering then. This will cause judder, but at least it doesn’t stutter and it’s comfortable as long as I don’t move my head.

Thanks anyway :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

You will at least have to limit the game framerate somehow. Normally vorpX tries to take care of that so that there are enough GPU resources for the direct mode thread. But this can not work if you have a game running without vorpX hooking into it. Probably still won’t work good afterwards, but if a game consumes all GPU resources by itself, like in your case, it definitely won’t work at all.

As said, the desktop viewer really isn’t for gaming, sorry.

NipOc
    Participant

Thanks, limiting the FPS helped, it seems it really was the GPU usage :)

But I have one more question, what could be causing this

It’s like the right image is lacking one frame behind and flickering, when I have sbs selected in certain programs.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No idea, sorry. Looks like a good reason to only use one injector at a time. ;)

NipOc
    Participant

This actually was a normal 3D Image in Paint.
    Maybe it solves itself after time and most programs work so it shouldn’t be a big problem.

Thanks for your help. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!