Frame rate plummets in Death Stranding

Homepage Forums Technical Support Frame rate plummets in Death Stranding

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Demuse
    Participant

I’m trying to play Death Stranding with vorpX cinema mode and my game slows down to an unplayable frame rate over the course of just a few minutes. When I first start it runs smoothly, for the opening cut scene and walking around, but within just a minute or two the frame rate gets slower and slower.

System specs are RTX3080, Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, and I’m only trying 1080p resolution so I think it should run smoothly – I’ve tried windowed and full screen, low and high graphics settings in-game. The fact that it’s smooth for the first few minutes suggests I’m not just under-powered.

When panning around with the mouse the whole world looks blurry in motion, like a heavy blur camera effect. I’m not sure whether that effect is applied by the game or by vorpX? The second cut scene (that plays after 2 minutes of walking around) starts okay but by the end of that cutscene, the frame rate is single digits and the game is unplayable.

I tried switching modes between Z-Normal, Z-Adaptive, and No 3D. No 3D runs a bit smoother for a few minutes but starts bogging down too. I have a Reverb G2 and I’ve tried both SteamVR and OpenXR, with the same behaviour.

When I run the game without vorpX, it’s buttery smooth all the time (as I would expect with an RTX3080). And I have absolutely nothing else running, except vorpX, Steam, and the WMR portal.

Any ideas? Based on the first 5 minutes, the game looks really cool and I’d love to play it, but I can’t go back to flat screen gaming.

fersj
    Participant

I have the same problem

fersj
    Participant

The problem was solved after I updated the game profile from the cloud.

Demuse
    Participant

Hey, thanks for sharing your solution, I just tried that and it fixed mine too! Now it runs smoothly in high resolution with high graphics settings. I’m excited to play this game!

I would like to know what was wrong with the original local game profile, such that updating from the cloud fixes the issue?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Probbaly just a conincidence. The cloud profile should be the same as the one that comes with vorpX. I’ll double check to be sure.

fersj
    Participant

With all due respect, this is definitely not a coincidence. I had the same thing, but the frame rate fell not after 2 minutes, but after 20 seconds. Since I have a less productive video card (1080ti).

Ralf
    Keymaster

I didn’t mean your issue was a coincidence, solving it by downloading the cloud profile might have though. Normally the cloud profile should be the same as the one that comes with vorpX. I’ll double check the matter to see whether I can find the actual problem.

Demuse
    Participant

Just to clarify my experience, in case it helps to track down an insidious bug: I started as I usually do with a freshly downloaded game on Steam, and the default local profile. The only immediate change I made was to switch from immersive screen to cinema mode. I set the in-game options pretty low, to 1080p resolution and medium graphic settings, as a starting point. The game was disappointingly laggy in the first few minutes, and even the cutscenes were choppy and stuttering, slowing to just a few frames per second.

Over the next day and a half, I tried everything that usually helps. I try to systematically change one thing at a time, and if it doesn’t help, switch it back to safe settings to avoid creating a mess. Tried with in-game graphics settings at low and at high, turning off or on all AA and effects, trying with DLSS on and off, trying windowed and full-screen, trying z-normal and z-adaptive and no 3D. I rebooted my computer and restarted the game perhaps 20 times. Nothing else running, no antivirus, no overlays; just WMR, Steam, vorpX, and the game, in that order. Even the opening menu before starting the game was laggy, with the highlight and sound lagging a half-second behind when scrolling through the menu. Along the way I tried a few times without vorpX and each time that ran smoothly. Finally I gave up and posted here, then played for 15 minutes without vorpX to watch the opening cutscenes properly and get past the first few minutes that I was getting pretty tired of re-playing. Saved and exited.

Then I downloaded the cloud profile as fersj suggested — it’s actually the first time I’ve ever tried using a cloud profile, and I’ve been happily using vorpX for 5 years — and everything was instantly fixed. I switched to 4K resolution and high graphics settings in cinema mode, no further fiddling, and never looked back. I could tell right from the opening menu that it was fixed. I’ve played 8 hours now.

So, I really feel like something wasn’t right with the local profile.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Mystery solved. The profile included in the last update uses a different method to hook DX12. Not sure why I changed that or what exactly causes the FPS drop with the other method, but the next vorpX version will come with the working profile again.

For the time being downloading the cloud profile does indeed fix the issue if anyone else encounters it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!