Friendly antivirus recommendations?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Friendly antivirus recommendations?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TheNicestGuy
    Participant

I’m using vorpX with an Oculus Rift on a Dell running Windows 10. The factory-installed antivirus is McAfeee LiveSafe. It didn’t take much troubleshooting for me to figure out that vorpX would never work with any game, period, unless I completely disabled LiveSafe’s live scanning function before launching the game. It didn’t have to be permanent, but targeted scanning exceptions never seemed to do any good. So this extra manual step is obviously a pain.

I have no love for LiveSafe, so looking forward to the end of my subscription I thought I would ask the community: Can anyone recommend a reputable antivirus solution that plays nice with vorpX’s methods? I prefer something that’s reliable but as non-intrusive as possible. (For example, if it just keeps me safe from actual infected files and virus-like activity, but doesn’t put its hooks into my web browser or my network traffic, that’s ideal.)

Thanks for any advice. Hopefully this can be a good resource for other users as well.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just uninstall your third party AV program and you’re good. Windows 10 has a built in AV solution named Windows Defender with excellent protection (incl. live monitoring). Windows Defender kicks in automatically as soon as you remove your third party AV software.

TheNicestGuy
    Participant

You know, last time I was paying attention to Windows Defender, years ago, I would have dismissed that suggestion as trolling. But when I look at comparisons these days, it looks like Windows Defender has matured quite a bit, and this is actually a viable option. I’ll certainly consider it.

Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s been that way for quite a while. Unless Windows Defender is missing some very specific functionality you consider important, there is no reason to use anything else anymore.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!