General VR/Vorpx Question – Does game render on screen slowdown game in headset?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings General VR/Vorpx Question – Does game render on screen slowdown game in headset?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TheBalt
    Participant

Hey everyone,

So I have been playing vr for awhile but i never got around to finding this out – does running a game in VR where it is displaying on your primary display slowing down performance at all, or is that just how things are and it doesnt have any effect?

If theres any effect id be interested to know how to turn it off on Oculus; if no effect, then nevermind, dont mind me :) lol

Thanks for your time

Ralf
    Keymaster

No effect at all. If you are irritated by an accordIng Steam message, you can safely ignore that. Might be true for Steam’s 2D VR theater (I don’t know that though), it’s certainly not the case for vorpX.

When VR ‘direct mode’ (i.e. headsets not acting as second monitor anymore) was originally introduced during the Rift DK2 phase vorpX actually did skip the monitor display per default originally. Later this was reverted since it didn’t really improve anything but instead caused unwanted side effects in a couple of games.

TheBalt
    Participant

Thanks, Ralf! As always, on top of the stuff that i need help with. Thank you :) Take care of yourself and dont work too hard… but keep working :P lmao jk :)

thanks for your product, love it

jjensson
    Participant

I’ll take this chance to ask about a related topic. Is it possible to turn off the monitor once i’m in a game in VorpX? I remember i tried at the beginning and had some massive problems (freezes requiring a PC reboot etc), but maybe the problems were caused by something else…

So what’s the suggestion: is it OK to turn my monitor off, to save some electricity, or is it not recommended?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Can’t really answer this one, never tried that until now.

In a brief 30secs. test I didn’t encounter any issue, but that doesn’t really prove anything, of course. I can’t entirely rule out that Windows detects whether the monitor is on or off and reacts to that somehow.

jjensson
    Participant

Hmmm, seems i gotta try it out again. Thx.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!