Generic OpenGL profile

Homepage Forums Technical Support Generic OpenGL profile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Smoils
    Participant

ReShade has opengl support now and with this super3d profile https://blueskydefender.github.io/Depth3D/ (which is Z3D as far as I get it) it works great in all the opengl games I have trouble getting vorpx to work.

Reshade doesnt have game specific profiles, so it must be some kind of generic one that just works. I would use that one, but setting it up and adjusting is more cumbersome plus it just does a stereopair on screen which means a) I need 3rd party software like vr desktop or an app from a link in this post to send stereopair into separate eyes and b) resolution is halveed vertically or horizontally since it has to squeeze both eye images on a single screen.

If reshade did this and it works great with opengl games, even recent ones it means its possible, if its open software maybe can be copied to a profile for vorpx.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Z3D for newer OpenGL that vorpX can’t provide G3D for is on my nice-to-have-list since forever. If there just weren’t always more important things… Realistically there may be half a dozen really popular titles that would benefit from this, making it not exactly a top priority.

Technically it shouldn’t be much of an issue though, I’d basically just have to add some heuristics that help extracting the right textures, everything else is in place already anyway. So I’ll probably get to it at some point eventually. It’s not forgotten.

Maybe there will be even more than that. After last year’s overhaul OpenGL support is actually in a state now where adding G3D for newer, shader based OpenGL would make sense. More than anything that’s a side project for rainy weekends though. So hope for a lot of bad weather. :)

Smoils
    Participant

“So hope for a lot of bad weather.”

Careful what you wish for in 2020

Ralf
    Keymaster

Fingers crossed, but so far personally I don’t have much to complain. Largely working in front of a monitor is a fairly huge privilege these days. In general though: true words.

However, I’m cautiously optimistic for next year: if there is anything good to say about pandemics then that at some point they are over. Stay safe until then.

Smoils
    Participant

Oh btw here is anoter idea/request.

For same problem solution – vorpx has desktop viewer which can be used to play games without hooking.

VR Desktop has 2 modes that accounts for stereopair on screen: 1) just sends each image to corresponding eye, 2) same, but stretches it to match actual screen aspect.

If Vorpx desktop viewer could do the same then 3rd party solutions (or if its built in game like in latest tomb raider) could be used easily (yes I know tomb raider is supported, but imagine another game rendering a pair on screen and vorpx not knowing what to do with it without a dedicated profile)

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is already possible. The VLC and MPC-HC video player profiles allow you to configure various stereo input options, even 360° surround videos are supported, also some game profiles that rely on native SBS (e.g. Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Dolphin Emulator).

I believe it’s also available for the desktop viewer profile, if not, that would be an oversight on my end. I’ll check it tomorrow. If you want, you can check it right away yourself. If stereo input is enabled for the desktop viewer, you would find the according options on the image page of the vorpX menu.

Smoils
    Participant

I checked before writing here and now checked again and I did miss it since it was in image tab and image tab usually doesnt have such thing.

However I think it just separates what screen shows to corresponding eyes, without stretching to fix stereopair being cramped into 1 screen, maybe changing aspect ratio fixes it.

Whats more launching any executable makes vorpx hook into it without a profile and that stereopair option from image tab disappears (only has standard image quality setting)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Normally it works like you expect it to work and stretches SBS to the correct aspect ratio with the aspect ratio option set to auto, but you can of course also set it manually.

You can pause the watcher from the vorpX tray icon’s right click menu if you want to stay in the desktop viewer. You can also exclude programs in the config app, that way you don’t have to pause the watcher for the excluded programs.

Smoils
    Participant

Well it works.

Tried exanima with reshade and vorpx desktop view, it worked and aspect ratio was correct in sbs, however performance was absolute garbage around 20 game and 15 headset from what vorpx reported while in-game fps counter said 120.

Tried immediately through vr desktop and while I cant see fps counter that vr desktop has while in game it felt much more playable, barely even noticeable there are performance issues.

I dont know what causes issues and it was just 1 game I’ve tested and plus not intended use, 3rd party software in a way etc, etc. Something is messing with performance, but at least I now know how to do it and about a watcher. So I did gain from this conversation.

Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sounds as if the game doesn’t leave enough resources for the desktop viewer. Limiting the game’s framerate would probably help, 120 doesn’t make much sense anyway.

A better solution however would be to let vorpX hook into the game, that will always be better than letting the desktop viewer capture the output. The Dolphin Emulator profile is OpenGL/SBS, creating a custom profile based on the Dolphin profile might (should) do the trick.

Ogrescar
    Participant

I tried that with the dolphin profile in the past and it didn’t work, in my case. I think the dolphin profiles expects full sbs whereas reshade splits the display area in half. I just saw half of one side overlapped with half of the other side. Perhaps it would work if you could set a games aspect ratio to 32:9, or whatever it is that the dolphin profile expects. Or maybe there are separation/convergence settings in the dolphin profile that I overlooked.

But there’s also issues with the mouse and cursor – you only have half your screen to work in but the game doesn’t know that. Reshade kinda compensates for that, but I can’t really comment on usability – never explored that far.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX handles SBS like you would expect it to be handled by stretching it to the correct aspect ratio. Sounds more as if the input wasn’t actually SBS if you saw half the image in each eye. Probably vorpX grabbed the image before the SBS shader you used got applied. The joys of multi-injection…

Smoils
    Participant

Exanima runs 144 fps on 144hz index in vorpx if I hook to the game, but then I cant have stereo. Since my monitor is old LG tv that can only go 60hz vorpx is the only way I can play on 120-144 hz and its nice when it works, but with stereo its better.

FreeStyler
    Participant

I might sound naive, hoewever:
    Just got a Rift S and I would love to play Freespace 2 Open in VR.
    Neither being a VR nerd nor digial analphabet, what do I need to do to get this running (if any) – thanks.

Ogrescar
    Participant

The newer versions of FS2 Open don’t work with Vorpx. Reshade may work – never tried it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!