generic vr headset Head tracker and standar SBS

Homepage Forums Technical Support generic vr headset Head tracker and standar SBS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fugazi
    Participant

Hi,
    in vorpx configuration I have selected “Generic Vr headset” but the only elegible option on the Head tracker combo is “none”.

is this correct, had to reinstall?

there is some way to fill this combo?

Another semi related question, would be dificult to add a purely “side by side” output to vorpx?, I mean, without any distortion.

I think that Vorpx lately has taken a big leap in his facet as a 3D driver, with a lot and great games with geo 3d, and I think it would be an “unexpensive” way to give more coolnes to Vorpx.

thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There currently are no trackers available for the generic headset mode, that is correct. This mode is meant for phone VR users who do tracking via an additional streaming app.

You can customize the distortion in the vorpX ingame menu while the generic headset is selected.

Just in case: if you are using the generic headset for a Vive (or other SteamVR compatible headset) right now, you should use the dedicated Steam VR mode instead.

fugazi
    Participant

Hi Ralf, thanks for your response.

I’ve tried to customize the distortion in the vorpX ingame menu, but I have been unable to configure it correctly to output to a pure side by side.
    Do you think it is possible to get it by a correct configuration?

I’am developing an fork of moonlight for the daydream platform, and I need a pure sbs output like the one of tridef 3d to get the 3d running on the virtual screen.

https://github.com/penkamaster/moonlight-android

Ralf
    Keymaster

Setting both the coarse and fine distortion values to 0.0 entirely disables any image distortion. Mathematically that is 100% exactly the same as not applying the distortion algorithm. Distortion scale should be 1.0 in that case.

If afterwards the image still looks distorted, the game’s FOV does not fit the FOV of the phone/lens combo you are using, provided your own distortion algorithm works correctly that is. In cases where vorpX can handle the game FOV you can address that by changing the FOV for the generic headset in the vorpX config app. Once you have the right value dialed in there, the FOV will fit for any game that vorpX can handle FOV-wise.

A guaranteed perfect auto-FOV out of the box is only possible for Steam VR/Oculus since both runtimes provide the exact headset FOV. For phone based VR the correct value depends on severable variables, so you have to adjust (probably lower) the value in the config app until it fits your phone/lens combination.

The same is true for lens distortion BTW. Unless Daydream somehow provides information about the used lenses or distorts on its own, you won’t be able to provide a one size fits all solution in your app. So you might just as well use the vorpX distortion instead of rolling out your own. Users would have to fine tune anyway depending on their individual phone/lens combo, be it in your app or in vorpX.

fugazi
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    I think that I have not expressed well, What I am developing is a tracked virtual screen, I don’t need any distortion because is done by my software.

is a virtual 3d sbs screen, so It needs a pure sbs image, like the one of reshade/depth, or tridef 3d produces.

I need this type of output https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/t_kJYB3BcZHAf1o-1MieaYwMNFd5XdWYd3tEqfdmAa8W39hLrzFuiAsn2pTbA6gA3-6K=h900

Not onr like this http://hwahba.com/ibex/files/ibex-win-sbs-video.jpg

I expect to have expressed better.

Thank you!!!

Ralf
    Keymaster

I understood you pretty well, apparently I didn’t make myself clear enough. The parameters above (0.0, 0.0, 1.0) provide a side by side image without any distortion.

The rest of my post mainly tries to explain that a game’s camera field of view also plays a crucial role regarding perceived distortion, so if you still see image distortion after applying the correct lens distortion yourself, you need to make sure games run with the proper FOV for your phone/lens combo, which vorpX can do for many games after you dialed in the right FOV for your phone/lens combo in the config app.

Lens distortion is the easy part, the hard part is FOV since it has to be solved on a per game basis in many different ways.

mhalsan
    Participant

I was able to use these settings to remove the image distortion, but how do we get a regular side-by-side image without the round “eyeglass” matte over it? The example photos on this topic show exactly what I’m describing.

Fugazi: were you able to get this working?

Thanks, mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!