GOG (not vorpX related)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion GOG (not vorpX related)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Hello there,

Have a question about GOG.
    I collect games on physical data media only. STEAM doesnt let download something like an installer which i can put on a DVD for example for later use.
    GOG seems exactly seems to do that, but i am not shure.

So heres my question:

Can i simply download a game (Installer) from GOG and put that on a DVD ?
    No additional internet connection or something after an install ?
    As far i understand i only need to make a download once and thats it, no running of clients or downloading unwanted stuff in the background.Is that true ?

Please tell me your experience with GOG in this concern, thanks !

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can either use a Steam like client (GOG Galaxy) or download install files. The client grants a few modern convenience functions like auto updates and cloud saves for many games, but it’s fully optional. You don’t have to install it at all if you don’t want to.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, will the install files still work whenever their servers go offline, meaning is there an online connection required after an install for verification or something ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t think so, but you should ask their support about that to get a definitive answer. Even if there was, I wouldn’t worry too much unless you plan to spend a fortune.

zahncisten
    Participant

I use GOG. After buying a game, you can download the installer, and install it on your machine. It doesn’t check with a server or do DRM checking. If you use GOG Galaxy, which is their UI for your library, it gives you game updates and extras you may have purchased, including DLC. All this is done without DRM checks and needing to have a server connection. That is, as long as you have downloaded the game. You can’t download from a server that is offline 🤣 Anyway, I like GOG. Its DRM Free! Did I mention it doesn’t do DRM checks? Right! 😃

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks Guys, are there any other sites that work just like GOG you would recommend ?

RJK_
    Participant

Well i got most older games anyway, but for the future GOG could be a source to extend a physical collection. One thing i was wondering they offer many old games like Kyrandia or Lands of Lore 1 for example which are DOS games, requiring Windows 7 and above. Will they run in some kind of inhouse DOS-Emulator or something ? I doubt they have reprogrammed those games for Windows.

zahncisten
    Participant

The old DOS games are imbedded with DOSBox. I’ve gotten a couple GOG DOS games and you don’t even notice what’s going on. You just run it and it happens. It’s pretty intuitive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!