Great FOV Mod to Use with Kingdom Come!

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Great FOV Mod to Use with Kingdom Come!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    haints
    Participant

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/280

I know Ralph calibrates FOV with vorpx, but I don’t always find the settings to my liking. With Kingdom Come the FOV is a little zoomed in and you can’t see much of your arm, which makes melee combat a little more difficult than it should be. Vorpx has an adjustable FOV setting … but if you use it to increase FOV, shadows get screwed up.

Using this mod I was able to set FOV so I could see more of my arm and shadows remain unchanged.

steph12
    Participant

thanks for sharing ^^

matteo39
    Participant

kingdom is a game that uses new cryengine, with g3d…strange.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ haints: just a heads-up that the FOV calculated by vorpX is 100% perfect for your headset. In “Full VR” mode FOV is not a matter of taste, there is only one correct FOV. That’s also the reason why you don’t see FOV sliders in native VR games.

Even if you prefer a different one it’s important to understand that only the FOV calculated by vorpX is technically correct. Everything else causes “fish bowl” image distortion.

haints
    Participant

@ haints: just a heads-up that the FOV calculated by vorpX is 100% perfect for your headset. In “Full VR” mode FOV is not a matter of taste, there is only one correct FOV. That’s also the reason why you don’t see FOV sliders in native VR games.

Even if you prefer a different one it’s important to understand that only the FOV calculated by vorpX is technically correct. Everything else causes “fish bowl” image distortion.

I understand your thinking here, Ralf. I would however say there can be more than one correct FOV, or to put it another way–one FOV may be correct in one way, but off in another.

Here’s what I mean. Hold your arm straight out in front of you like you are aiming a gun. You can see the entirety of your arm, starting with your shoulder, extending all the way out to your hand. That’s our normal FOV. But the default vorpx FOV for Kingdom Come starts about halfway down your arm.

Now, maybe that is the FOV that fits best with the Oculus Rift, but I’ve played other VR games where when I extend my arm out–I can see almost all of my arm. That’s what feels natural to me. That’s what feels “correct.” So when I extend my arm out in Kingdom Come to throw a punch, and half my arm is missing–it feels wrong to me, even if it is correct in another way.

Ultimately, I would argue that what feels most real to the player, is the most important value. Not everyone might feel the way I do, or some people might disagree on the idea of which value makes the game feel most real, but that’s fine: fortunately your software allows us to go with the default values you’ve arrived at, or to change it to our own personal tastes, and that’s exactly as it should be. To be perfectly clear–I’m not saying your default values are wrong–I’m saying that to me, being able to see more of my arm as I would in real life, is a paramount value for VR.

Ralf
    Keymaster

What feels right for you is right for you of course. Technically there is still only one correct FOV though. As soon as you deviate even a little bit from it in full VR you will notice that the image ‘warps’ while rotating your head. The world FOV has to mimic precisely the same FOV that you experience in real life. Nothing else is technically right, just this one FOV that is defined by your headset. vorpX calculates it perfectly considering every vorpX setting that may have an influence on it.

You are of course still free to play how you think it’s best, absolutely no problem if you are aware of the implications. Please just don’t make others believe that this is a matter of taste or something they should experiment with. It really isn’t, in full VR mode it’s pure math with just one correct solution.

steph12
    Participant

it also depends of our interpupilar distance no ? my htc vive doesnt allow me to adjust to my precise 59 ipd, minimum is something like 61.
    vorpx fov method takes in account ipd right ? if the hardware doesnt allow 100% accurate idp then fov may be not 100% correct for people like me with lower ipd than the hardware allows ? just a thought, i’m not technician ^^

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just like any other VR app vorpX takes everything into account that is required to calculate the FOV. I perfectly understand your desire to tweak things, guys. But please do yourself a favor and don’t touch the FOV in full VR games if vorpX can handle it automatically. There is enough left for you to optimize beyond that.

Cinema/immersive screen mode are more like monitor gaming, so there you might tweak the FOV if you want. In ‘Full VR’ mode however the automatic FOV is calculated precisely to six places behind the decimal point. There *REALLY* is nothing to tweak if vorpX can calculate it automatically.

haints
    Participant

You are of course still free to play how you think it’s best, absolutely no problem if you are aware of the implications. Please just don’t make others believe that this is a matter of taste or something they should experiment with. It really isn’t, in full VR mode it’s pure math with just one correct solution.

I will honor your request and refrain from disputing the correctness of vorpx’s default FOV, if that will make your work easier, Ralf. I can imagine a scenario in which someone reads my post and changes the FOV, then doesn’t like the results and blames you or vorpx for the problem instead of me, forcing you to respond and take time to address the issue, etc.

That seems perfectly reasonable. However, I respectfully disagree that experimenting is not something I or any user should recommend to any one else. Experimentation/tweaking is a big part of this hobby for VR enthusiasts, and I think we should be free to suggest tweaking certain values, as long as we don’t claim to have the “right” settings for those values, and as long we make it clear that any issues that result are on the end-user, not Vorpx. It would be one thing if it were hard to return to the default values you’ve set, then I can see all sorts of things getting screwed up, but as long as we can easily restore your original calculations, I don’t see the harm in a little experimentation. I’m willing to accept a little image warping when I rotate my head in exchange for a higher FOV that lets me see more of my arm. You have made it very clear that there is a trade off for this kind of tweaking, and if I recommend any sort of FOV changes–as I am doing here–I will be sure to repeat your warning first, so that users can make an informed decision on whether or not to experiment.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I will honor your request and refrain from disputing the correctness of vorpx’s default FOV, if that will make your work easier, Ralf. I can imagine a scenario in which someone reads my post and changes the FOV, then doesn’t like the results and blames you or vorpx for the problem instead of me, forcing you to respond and take time to address the issue, etc.

I can live with that. Just to make clear again why I have to insist so (seemingly) stubborn: FOV issues were the No.1 source of complaints before vorpX could do it automatically for many games. Deviating from the correct world FOV in ‘Full VR’ mode even a little bit will cause image distortion, easily detectable by rotating your head. The world FOV in ‘Full VR’ has to be precisely tuned to the headset. That’s also why no native VR app has an FOV slider.

So as long as you are fully aware that you actually always break something by changing an automatically determined ‘Full VR’ FOV you are of course free to experiment.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!