GTX1080TI over GTX 970

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion GTX1080TI over GTX 970

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Hello guys,

Today i did some serious testing with my GTX970 and i figured as higher the resolution the better the image quality, speaking here about resolutions above 1920×1440 (90FPS), i tested up to 2880×2160. I reached a stable 45 FPS at 2240×1680 , a very few framedrops at 2520×2268. 2880×2160 locked best but lower then 45 FPS with permanent framedrops. ( Unreal 3 Engine )

Now since the 1080 TI is 150% faster then the 970 what exactly can i expect from that and what does 150% exactly mean ?

i guess i am wrong when i calculate 45 FPS * 150 % = 67.5 FPS , am i ?

RJ

RJK_
    Participant

I am trying to find out under what conditions it would make sense to buy a 1080 and how far i can raise the resolution at all to still improve quality .

steph12
    Participant

if i were you i’d wait april, nvidia is going to release new nvida gpu before summer, rumors say this april.

i know that gtx 1080 ti is an amazing card, but you also need a strong cpu and ram to get nice fps.

after this, it all depends of the game optimization, for example wow is optimized like shit, it runs on only one core and gpu doesnt help much in this game… so even with gtx 1080 ti you’ll get shitty fps.

and gtx 1080 ti is faster that 150% of gtx 970 (meaning 1.5 more power than gtx 970), it’s more like 2.5, even 3 times faster in gaming.

RJK_
    Participant

Yes, but what does that mean 1.5 or times faster. Does it provide 67.5 or 90 instead of 45 FPS ?

I am guessing you own a 1080 , right ?

How high can you go in resolution until you dont see no more change in quality ?

RJ

prinyo
    Participant

How high can you go in resolution until you dont see no more change in quality ?

Open the SteamVR settings and put the supersampling at 4. Below the bar it should show you the resolution. This is generally accepted as the max resolution that makes sense to use and that people can see difference with.

As steph12 pointed out, the performance of the fast GPU itself is not enough to guarantee the best or even optimal performance. You also need at least a fast CPU. Depending on the games you want to play (most older games) you might want to get an overclockable CPU with the max possible per core speed. And at that point you would also want fast RAM (>= 3000MHz)

RJK_
    Participant

I just phoned my dealer. He said faster ram then 2400-2600 wouldnt make sense because theres no cpu that can provide this. ( with overclocking – yes of coarse).

We were talking about my setup which is an ASUS B150-Pro with DDR4-2133Mhz and an I7-6700k. He said even that uptodate cpu can only provide 2133 mhz ram speed at max. (not-overclocked). So i guess you must do some heavy overclocking to reach 3000Mhz and above.

Anyway thanks for that hint with steamVR, ill try that tonight.

PS: pricing for fast GPus has exploded because of “bitcoin mining” the dealer said , when i asked him about the nvidia rumors, he comfirmed something beeing in the pipeline.

RJ

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

I use my 1080ti with a i5 4690k@ 4.3Ghz and also use 16gigs DDR3 1866mhz ram. I have no problems with my CPU bottle necking the 1080ti. There is still plenty of performance left in this CPU…as generally speaking…some games are CPU limited and some games are GPU limited. Memory speed has increased by quite a lot in the latest generation CPU’s & MB chipsets but that doesn’t necessarily mean the faster speed of DDR4 is going to give much of a boost over DDR3…presently. On paper DDR4 trumps DDR3 but in the real gaming world it doesn’t always work in the same way. A little research comparing DDR4 & DDR3 will provide great answers that are beyond this thread in answering.

150% faster performance generally means the amount of pixels/texels/etc will be calculated that much faster, but not necessarily resulting in 3 times the fps. Fps performance is different for each game engine including the age of the game involved. Purchasing a 1080ti presently…if you can find one…and reasonably priced…is a safe bet…even with the GPU that will be released later this year. The new GPU will only be at most 20% better than a 1080ti, which probably is not going to give VR gaming that much more performance over all. What is needed is Foveated Rendering to become reality…which will enable older cards to perform in VR much more efficiently.

Like I said, if you can get a 1080ti now…do it…it will last you at least a few years or so until games get much more GPU dependent. Even after that you’ll probably still be able to recover 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of what you paid…due to the fact that GPU’s only increase in performance small %’s at a time…unless some future discovery takes place that causes a leap in performance.

Cheers!!!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just seconding PhoenixSpyder’s post. If you can afford it without having to forego something more important than a graphics card, a GTX1080Ti is great for vorpX.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!