Hack to get even crisper display on Odyssey+ (with this one weird trick)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Hack to get even crisper display on Odyssey+ (with this one weird trick)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Not entirely VorpX related, but this will help a lot of people. I found this:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/3276824488715073552/?ctp=3

I thought the display was good on the Odyssey+ before doing this. Wow, huge improvement. VorpX games look even better now. I can’t even imagine going back to my Vive after this.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

I wonder if this outdoes the Pimax 5k in now, since screen displays were showing that as being sharper than the Odyssey+. That’s crazy you couldn’t run things natively by default though.

dborosev
    Participant

May sound silly but I almost can’t imagine a screen much better than what I’m seeing. It’s pretty much almost like looking at a monitor. Such a massive upgrade from the vive.

steph12
    Participant

why is odyssey+ tagged as mixed reality headset ? is it really a virtual reality headset like htc vive ?

mixed reality is like those microsoft hololenses headset for me.

zahncisten
    Participant

Mixed Reality is what Windows calls their HMDs. The Odyssey+ is a Windows Mixed Reality Headset, but it’s VR. Just different terminology 😊

steph12
    Participant

alright, thanks ^^

is it worth it to get odyssey+ over regular htc vive ? i’m looking for something more comfortable, because right now, even with DAS, my htc vive is not comfortable at all, i got this comfort issue since day one (april 2016), tried everything, custom foams, prescription lenses to avoid using my glasses, DAS, custom made extra support to ease the pain around my nose, forehead, my htc vive now looks like a heavy prototype headset :DDDD

i’d really love a new shining comfortable headset.

zahncisten
    Participant

@dborosev could tell you more, but the Odyssey+ is generally considered to be better than the Vive 👍. Here are a couple videos about it:

I would totally get it, but I want to be able to use my own headphones. The visuals are supposed to be awesome 😁. It’s supposed to be awesome with the anti-screen door effect.

Here are some other comparison videos I looked at when I was just about to buy one, lol:

zahncisten
    Participant

@steph12 That is awesome you have prescription lenses for your HMD! I didn’t even know you could get that until now! 😃 thanks! I will have to look into this… 👀😎

dborosev
    Participant

I upgraded from a Vive, and its a LOT better. (Although tracking isn’t 100%, but still plenty good).

The screen is drop dead gorgeous once you edit the config files to up the SS. No SDE, and almost looks monitor quality. And I did a simple mod to “elastic” the faceplate closer to my face, which solved any light bleed and comfort issues. Now, its far more comfy, WAY better visuals, and simpler to use than the Vive.

zahncisten
    Participant

@dborosev how do you feel about the headphones

steph12
    Participant

thanks for the links :D

yeah i got my lenses from there https://vroptician.com/

very serious shop, plus mine has anti blue light treatment, i can play for hours without having my eyes destroyed, before having those lenses my eyes were seriously tired/red after long periods of VR sessions.

steph12
    Participant

I upgraded from a Vive, and its a LOT better. (Although tracking isn’t 100%, but still plenty good).

The screen is drop dead gorgeous once you edit the config files to up the SS. No SDE, and almost looks monitor quality. And I did a simple mod to “elastic” the faceplate closer to my face, which solved any light bleed and comfort issues. Now, its far more comfy, WAY better visuals, and simpler to use than the Vive.

does that mean odyssey+ is not comfy out of the box and have bad light bleeding ? it doesnt fit your face perfectly ?

dborosev
    Participant

Out of the box, there is quite a bit of light bleed for some people because the angle of the faceplate to the halo is just bad. Modding it (with elastics or velcro) to pull in the face plate closer so you can wear the halo properly fixes everything. Some people don’t have that issue.

The headphones are great. Same as the DAS.

dborosev
    Participant

Here is one such mod. Black velcro works well too and looks nicer.

O+ mod

steph12
    Participant

thanks for the pic ^^

well, i think i’m going to pass then, with my bad luck i will probably get comfort issue as well.

enjoy it tho, this bad boy seems to have such nice display and good tracking :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!