half life 1 ray traced profile

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion half life 1 ray traced profile

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Smoils
    Participant

I remember half life 1 had some profiles, then those broke…but hl1 ray traced mod seems to be using separate executable and maybe new directx. I havent found a way to even hook to it yet, but maybe someone can try or drop a hint.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

I remember seeing the video maybe a week ago, and thinking: Man, this will most certainly not work in vorpX!

I hope there’s a solution at some point though.

Smoils
    Participant

I remember seeing the video maybe a week ago, and thinking: Man, this will most certainly not work in vorpX!

I hope there’s a solution at some point though.

I dont think there is a chance either – tried it with alternative and while many shaders work, 3d shader when viewed in depth buffer mode kinda shows depth buffer but its covered all over in small squares that flicker all over like noise.

So depth buffer is kinda corrupt, the other way is G3D, but ray tracing is already taxing in 1 camera, for 2 cameras it will either not work at all and render in 1 eye only or be too taxing on any GPU

Demuse
    Participant

Just in case you aren’t aware, there’s a good VR mod for HL1 with full VR and motion controllers, available on Steam. I’m playing through it now, and I realized that I never played HL1, I started back in the day with HL2. A lot of things make more sense now, go figure.

I love vorpX but I think a dedicated mod is even better. Anyway, I realize that none of this answers your ray-traced question. :)

Smoils
    Participant

Just in case you aren’t aware, there’s a good VR mod for HL1 with full VR and motion controllers, available on Steam. I’m playing through it now, and I realized that I never played HL1, I started back in the day with HL2. A lot of things make more sense now, go figure.

I love vorpX but I think a dedicated mod is even better. Anyway, I realize that none of this answers your ray-traced question. :)

Thanks, I know of it, tried both on quest and steam, but Ive played hl1 before and ray tracing is more refreshing than full vr mod for me to muster a will to try it again.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Great that HL1 got the raytracing treatment, sure worth tinkering around with.

BUT: if you actually want to play Half-Life, play Black Mesa: Source with vorpX instead. Half-Life was great at the time for sure, but Black Mesa is the better game in every imaginable way. Incidentally also one of the highend vorpX profiles with DirectVR support at its fullest extent. And it actually looks better than the raytraced HL1 (way better models and textures) while being 10x faster.

Pretty much a close to native VR experience, and even better if you add two or three shooting related controller gestures with the latest vorpX beta.

Smoils
    Participant

Great that HL1 got the raytracing treatment, sure worth tinkering around with.

BUT: if you actually want to play Half-Life, play Black Mesa: Source with vorpX instead. Half-Life was great at the time for sure, but Black Mesa is the better game in every imaginable way. Incidentally also one of the highend vorpX profiles with DirectVR support at its fullest extent. And it actually looks better than the raytraced HL1 (way better models and textures) while being 10x faster.

Pretty much a close to native VR experience, and even better if you add two or three shooting related controller gestures with the latest vorpX beta.

Thanks Ralf, already experienced that awesome game in awesome Vorpx Vr

MarcDwonn
    Participant

The latest Digital Foundry video is about HL1 RT, and they explain that it actually uses another engine (Xash, instead of Gold Source). Well worth a watch, IMO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!