Half Life 2 Episode 1 Vorpx settings not feeling right…

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Half Life 2 Episode 1 Vorpx settings not feeling right…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    legaiaflame2
    Participant

Hi, I just played the original Half Life 2 in VR using Vorpx and it worked really well. I was even able to move my head forward, meaning I could bring my head up close to objects, stepping forward a bit in real time, just like a real VR game. Meaning I could step a bit around and bob my head forward to more closely look at objects. Most VorpX settings don’t let you do this.

So, now I’m trying to play Half Life 2 Episode 1 and noticed it doesn’t feel right. Meaning I can’t move forward with my head and step closer to objects like I did with the original Half Life 2.

Just wondering if anyone noticed this and if there is anything I can do to replicate the settings that let you step closer to objects like the Vorpx settings in the original Half Life 2.

TheBalt
    Participant

I havent played Half Life 2 episode 1 in vorpx but make sure your 3d setting is set to Geometry 3d, i believe that is the only setting that lets you ‘get in close’ to objects like a regular VR game

Ralf
    Keymaster

You may have to run the DirectVR scanner (from the vorpX menu or by pressing ALT-L). vorpX can cache DirectVR values for the Half-Life 2 games, but the cache may be outdated in case of some game update.

If all works as intended, it should behave like the base game. Played the beginning of Ep. 1 myself two years back or so after implementing VR controller support standing with Touch controllers. One of my best VR experiences hands down.

legaiaflame2
    Participant

I tried everything and still can’t move my head closer to objects…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Like I suspected the scanner cache is outdated due to some recent game update. Go to the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu, empty the cache and re-run the scanner.

You may have to do that several times until everything works as intended, took three attempts for me. If you can’t make it work, wait until the next vorpX (no date set yet), that will come with an updated cache.

legaiaflame2
    Participant

How do I get to the Direct VR page of VorpX? By pressing delete in game? Is that where I can find it?

legaiaflame2
    Participant

Found it. It’s in the delete vorpx menu. It’s working now thanks!

chtiblue
    Participant

Played the beginning of Ep. 1 myself two years back or so after implementing VR controller support standing with Touch controllers.

How do you implement VR controller support?
    Do you mean so you can aim with your hand /controller like in true VR game?

Ralf
    Keymaster

VR Controllers act either as mouse/keyboard (freely configurable) or as gamepad. That can still boost immersion quite a bit since that way you have your hands free to pretend to interact with the game world.

Try it, you’ll probably be surpised how small the difference between actually openening a door or reaching out and then pressing a button is for your brain, same for pretending to aim with a gun etc. A bit like playing air guitar, but way better. You can even display animated hands instead of the controllers if you want.

chtiblue
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, I will try that!

TheBalt
    Participant

VR Controllers act either as mouse/keyboard (freely configurable) or as gamepad. That can still boost immersion quite a bit since that way you have your hands free to pretend to interact with the game world.

Try it, you’ll probably be surpised how small the difference between actually openening a door or reaching out and then pressing a button is for your brain, same for pretending to aim with a gun etc. A bit like playing air guitar, but way better. You can even display animated hands instead of the controllers if you want.

Damnit, ralf! why didnt you mention trying this before? i never thought about that but i could see what youre saying in just holding the illusion theres an actual item in your hand with a trigger… obviously tricking ourselves, but thats what vr is – a trick.

thanks for the idea, i might try this with next fps i play, appreciated, sir. but shoulda said this sooner! lol. Thanks dude

edit: and just thanks for the hard work in general, i really really love your product and i did convince one friend to buy recently, so im trying to keep people aware of what youve made here, its fantastic, thank you

real_trisk
    Participant

Whew. Thanks for this post. I was having the same problem, and this fixed it. Works great now.

legaiaflame2
    Participant

Can you actually move the mouse pointer/crosshairs around with the vr controller? Like moving your arm around to aim?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!