Has anyone tried Virtual Desktop’s Synchronous Spacewarp with Vorpx yet?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Has anyone tried Virtual Desktop’s Synchronous Spacewarp with Vorpx yet?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LuigiChoolis
    Participant

So as per a couple of days ago Virtual Desktop has come out with a new feature that apparently improves the framerate immensely and as per reports seems to be superior to AirLink’s system. Read about it here:
    https://uploadvr.com/virtual-desktop-synchronous-spacewarp/

Has anyone tried this feature with Vorpx yet and what are your first impressions? Are there noticeable improvements?

onetoo
    Participant

I know that I was getting better performance than VD using AirLink without ASW activated. I haven’t tried the new feature yet, but Oculus will be implementing something similar soon. Maybe with V30.

LuigiChoolis
    Participant

Oh definitely, VD is in a difficult position now, anything it comes up with will be copied asap for AirLink. But to be honest, the one thing that impacts my wireless performance the most is the router.

Everywhere online they keep telling you to buy this or that expensive router. I have now tested a number of expensive routers, both ax and ac, and at the end of my testing that one that performs the best is my old trusted TP-Link AC1750 :D No jitters, clear graphics everywhere and smooth motion. None of the other routers were able to offer that, I was surprised that even the most expensive AX routers had crap performance with the Quest 2 :D

Only thing I noticed is that when my wife logged in to Netflix my performancce would suffer for like 10 seconds. So I bought another AC1750 as dedicated access point only for the Quest 2 and now Half-Life Alyx runs smooth like butter on Ultra graphics setttings, turns out having an additional AC1750 dedicated actually improved also the general quality of the graphics and the motion, which I did not see coming because it already looked very good :D Totally recommend the AC1750 if anyone is having performance issues with AirLink, it’s very solid and really plug and play.

onetoo
    Participant

To be fair, there were other streamers before VD. ALVR came out prior and VD borrowed those ideas. VRidge was released for the Quest1 before both. There’s also AMD ReLive, and the HTC Focus wifi solutions. Oculus already announced the local ATW feature before VD released the beta.

I just got a TpLink AX1800 which has dual-core and it’s very stable. I also have an AC1200 which works great but doesn’t have the range. It’s weird that some of those routers are hit and miss, but I just saw someone recently putting a heatsink on the router chip to keep it stable.

LuigiChoolis
    Participant

You’re right, I didn’t think much about the range (or the number of devices connected) because I have the router right next to the computer, and that’s the room where I play :D But obviously that would be a factor for people who don’t want their setup their way :D

mariametro
    Participant

I haven’t tried virtual desktop’s synchronous spacewarp with vorpx but I tried it with Project Cars 2 and a few other heavy PCVR titles… it was a horrible experience and it was super horrible compared to airlink. I suspect the claims it’s better than airlink’s own variant is based on hyper specific scenarios of on screen movement and performance loads. Airlink performed far superior in terms of perceived framerate smoothness and reducing motion artifacts.

I have a lot of empathy for VD and its developer. They’re in a tough spot and facebook’s treatment of them has been petty and cruel, but VD just doesn’t perform as well and is just a rather clumsy layer added to a not particularly great user experience.

pixelcowboy
    Participant

For me airlink is still much better. VD just performs worse, as it has more overhead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!