Has G3d ever worked in DOOM 2016? Cause it certainty doesnt any more.

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Has G3d ever worked in DOOM 2016? Cause it certainty doesnt any more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Malsyste
    Participant

Resposting for clarity as it’s its not a hooking issue.

Here’s a youtube example-
    Just need to watch first min or 2, rest of vid is silent gameplay

In addition when I personally set it to either Z3d mode I just get a distorted screen.

Can anyone confirm with complete certainty that it worked in the past?

1 guy is saying he was fooled-

Another claims in title description there was a change after I (rudely) confronted him about it-

Whats the real story here?
    Have I missed out on this amazing chance if there ever was one?
    Any way to rectify this?

lloyd709
    Participant

Bump – would be great if anyone that is using it now could commment on this as I’m not that familiar with VorpX and don’t really want to spend hours and hours trying to get it to work if it’s not possilbe anymore to get the G3d working.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There definitely is no official profile for the game and it’s highly unlikely that there is a working G3D user profile since OpenGL support is limited to older fixed function OpenGL. Doom 2016 uses newer, shader based OpenGL.

There is however an explanation why some may experience an existing user profile as (partially) 3D. The first version of vorpX’s OpenGL render path used alternate frame rendering, which means the left and right eye are rendered at different points in time: left at frame 1, right at frame 2, left at frame 3, right at frame 4, and so on. Given these circumstances moving sideways (strafing) happens to have a similar effect as rendering two images for stereo 3D although vorpX doesn’t create any stereo 3D at all. Moving forward/backward doesn’t produce correct stereo 3D, but apparently some still experience what they see as 3D. My personal guess is that maybe their brains somehow try to make sense of the (garbage) input. I’d consider it way more likely though that you will experience anything else than strafing as weird and unpleasent, so try at your own risk.

At some point someone uploaded a user profile based on this (long superseeded) old OpenGL alternate frame implementaion, which then caused this whole Doom G3D confusion.

TLDR: There is no G3D in Doom 2016. There isn’t even any official profile for the game, but an existing user profile under some circumstances can create the illusion of 3D for some. Not really recommended by any means though. It’s fairly likely that you will experience the effect created by this user profile as unpleasent and weird.

Smoils
    Participant

Even without visual glitches and tech reasons sometimes you just convince yourself game has depth if you believe enough I even noticed myself sometimes accidentally pressing hotkeys switching z3d off and only noticing after some time.

There are several latest amnesia profiles claiming 3d too while there is none because people are convinced it has depth.

Even z3d when it works is obvious, you dont have to put any effort to see if there is depth, there just is.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In that respect you might find the Wikipedia article about depth perception interesting. Stereo vision (3D) is only one of many depth cues a human brain relies on. it’s a fairly important one at close range for most (with two healthy eyes), but by no means is it the only one.

After just a few meters stereo vision actually fades away until it disappers entirely since the difference between the left and right eye image becomes smaller and smaller the farther something is away. From that point on the brain relies entirely on monoscopic (2D) depth cues like relative object size, line perspective, motion parallax and more.

Long story short: even with no stereo at all there are still plenty of things a brain can derive depth from and except for close range objects there isn’t even much of difference in that respect between stereo and mono.

dborosev
    Participant

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can’t tell if there is depth or not. I’ve seen quite a few profiles where it says 3d, to find none when I try it. Then the person says “oh, it looked kind of 3d to me”. I think there is some genetic factor similar to being tone deaf for some people.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is indeed a certain percentage of people who can’t see stereo 3D, but that’s just a small minority. In general you better turn around your point 180 degrees to be on the right track. Some may just be better at deriving depth from monoscopic cues (of which there are quite a few more than stereo cues).

Either way: if you want to be on the safe side, simply stick to official profiles. Those always have 3D (unless one happens to be broken, of course).

forlaunchcast
    Participant

Very interesting and enlightening discussion. Thanks, Ralf, for that insight.

For what it’s worth, I played through entire Doom 2016 with just desktop vorpx and had a blast. Yes, it wasn’t 3D, but having a dark movie screen in front of you with headphone spatial sound still was a treat. And because it wasn’t geometry, it was smooth as butter.

Michelangel0
    Participant

I uploaded a video at that time:

And I later updated the video stating that it was not working anymore
    but, now I can read Ralf explanation:

There is however an explanation why some may experience an existing user profile as (partially) 3D. The first version of vorpX’s OpenGL render path used alternate frame rendering, which means the left and right eye are rendered at different points in time: left at frame 1, right at frame 2, left at frame 3, right at frame 4, and so on. Given these circumstances moving sideways (strafing) happens to have a similar effect as rendering two images for stereo 3D although vorpX doesn’t create any stereo 3D at all. Moving forward/backward doesn’t produce correct stereo 3D, but apparently some still experience what they see as 3D. My personal guess is that maybe their brains somehow try to make sense of the (garbage) input. I’d consider it way more likely though that you will experience anything else than strafing as weird and unpleasent, so try at your own risk.

At some point someone uploaded a user profile based on this (long superseeded) old OpenGL alternate frame implementaion, which then caused this whole Doom G3D confusion.

and thanks for this explanation!

I could swear to you that at certain moment I played Doom 2016 with that effect then, because I still remember seeing the effect on ladders and doors and it was certainly not a flat image at all.

Ogrescar
    Participant

The game works very well with superdepthvr and a viewer like vorpx desktop or virtual desktop, as long as you limit your framerate/resolution to give the viewer the gpu time it needs. There’s a custom profile for the game that comes with the shader so it’s almost a plug and play sort of thing.

thomas3d
    Participant

Yes !! the Game works very god in 3D with Reshade Super Depth3D and Virtual Desktop Side by Side.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!