Hogwarts Legacy won’t hook

Homepage Forums Technical Support Hogwarts Legacy won’t hook

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DirtyRuscoe
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new to Vorpx. I’ve managed to get it working for Portal 2, which is great.

I’m using a Pico 4 with virtual desktop and a windows 11 laptop.

Now I’m trying to get Vorpx to hook Hogwarts Legacy.

I’ve downloaded the beta, but I can’t seem to get the game to hook. I’ve tried the 3x cloud profiles available for the game. I’ve also tried a couple that are unreal engine 4/dx12 only too. I’ve been setting the file as the HogwartsLegacy.exe in the win64 subfolder of the installation directory. Is that the right one? Or should it be the steamlink desktop one?

I’ve tried installing hook helpers and alternative hooking and that still doesn’t work.

The logs seem to say there’s an error setting fov as there’s no hmd. But even if I try to pre-launch SteamVR the process still fails.

I’ve been through the trouble shooting and don’t appear to have any conflicting programs running.

I read in a different post something about letting the shaders load before attaching vorpx but I’m not sure how to do that?

And am I missing a process step here? Should I be loading up the Vorpx desktop monitor and launching the game via that rather than via virtual desktop?

Any ideas?

dellrifter22
    Participant

Not sure where the problem is, I’ll just say I was playing Legacy last night and it was still working. Windows 10, steam version, 2080ti (year old drivers), 32g ram, vorpX beta openXR, Varjo Aero. I hooked it just now in steamVR mode to test and it worked also.

I’m not familiar with Pico 4, can it use openXR? Is Virtual Desktop required? or can you run with a cable to your laptop without VD?

Do you have any other dx11/dx12 games to test and see if they are hooking? It sounds like you are doing everything right, so unless you still have some conflicting program/overlay or antivirus, your games should hook.

How well does your laptop play Legacy? It demands a lot of ram and vram just to load into the main menu.

DirtyRuscoe
    Participant

Hi, thanks for replying. I’ve tried your profiles! Thanks for publishing them!

Sadly I can only connect the Pico 4 via virtual desktop. And I have to use Vorpx in steam VR mode.

I can run HL on medium without too much trouble. My CPU does shoot up to 86% when the shaders are loading though.

It’s great to hear that your profiles are working for you. I’ll give them another try. Would you recommend the beta version of your profile or the original?

I just assumed it was a dx12 issue, but I’ll rummage through my library and find something I can test with. And I’ll recheck my background applications for conflicts. I’m a beginner at this so I guess I just thought that if Vorpx could hook portal 2 it meant there were no global conflicts – but perhaps that’s underestimating the impact of alternative versions of DX.

Tbf, I’m wondering if the issue is that the game is taking too much of the CPU’s power and depriving Vorpx causing the failure.

DirtyRuscoe
    Participant

Still no luck.

My logs say this:

INF: App: Attaching to hogwartslegacy.exe, pid:9492 (64bit)
    INF: App: cmd: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy\Phoenix\Binaries\Win64\HogwartsLegacy.exe”
    INF: App: vorpX version: vorpX 23.1.0, build time: Apr 30 2023 | 11:24:26
    INF: App: max. supported profile version: 23.1.0
    INF: MemScanManager: Created
    INF: App: Authoring mode: 0
    INF: ProgSettings: Versions: system: 23.1.0, user: 23.1.0
    INF: GameHelper: Instance created.
    INF: App: BaseInit: crash handler set, previous handler stored.
    INF: HookBase: Installing base init hooks single-threaded
    INF: DXGIBase: Installing Main Hook
    INF: WinHelper: reported version: 10.0.22621.1635
    INF: D3D11Base: Installing Main Hook
    INF: HookBase: Installing system hooks
    INF: HookBase: Installing mouse hook
    WRN: OpenVRDevice: fov requested without valid hmd.
    INF: Main: Detaching from hogwartslegacy.exe
    INF: Main: Graceful Exit
    INF: vorpControl: Starting process life thread: proc id: 9492, hook count: 1
    WRN: AudioHelper: No known VR playback device found.
    INF: D3D11Base: Removing Main Hook
    INF: HookBase: Removing system hooks
    INF: HookBase: Removing mouse hook
    INF: OpenTrackHelper: Release
    INF: TrackerOpenVR: Release
    INF: OpenVRDevice: Released
    INF: ResourceManager: Released
    INF: MemScanManager: Destroyed
    INF: GameHelper: Destroyed
    INF: App: Released
    INF: Main: Graceful Exit Success

INF: vorpControl: Exiting process life thread: HogwartsLegacy.exe, 9492
    INF: vorpControl: Closing process: HogwartsLegacy.exe (user choice after timeout)
    INF: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: Install: installing hook helper for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy\HogwartsLegacy.exe.
    WRN: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: runCheck: process still running: HogwartsLegacy.exe.
    INF: vorpControl: Closing process: HogwartsLegacy.exe (user choice after timeout)
    INF: VorpControl: Injector reinit due to settings changes.
    INF: VorpControl: Starting (32bit, version 23.1.0).
    INF: VorpControl: Starting elevated (32bit, version 23.1.0).
    ERR: vorpControl: 64bit control not running, restarting.
    INF: VorpControl: Starting (64bit, version 23.1.0).
    INF: vorpControl: Processing cmd switch: 64dummy
    INF: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: Install: installing hook helper for .
    ERR: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: Install: path does not exist:
    INF: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: Install: installing hook helper for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy\HogwartsLegacy.exe.
    WRN: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: runCheck: process still running: HogwartsLegacy.exe.
    INF: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: Install: installing hook helper for .
    ERR: vorpControl: WrapHookManager: Install: path does not exist:
    INF: VorpControl (32bit): device change detected: Speakers (Virtual Desktop Audio) > Audio (THX Spatial Audio)
    INF: VorpControl (64bit): device change detected: Speakers (Virtual Desktop Audio) > Audio (THX Spatial Audio)
    INF: VorpControl (64bit): device change detected: Audio (THX Spatial Audio) > Speakers (Virtual Desktop Audio)
    INF: VorpControl (32bit): device change detected: Audio (THX Spatial Audio) > Speakers (Virtual Desktop Audio)
    INF: VorpControl Injector: Injecting C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy\Phoenix\Binaries\Win64\HogwartsLegacy.exe, pid:15744, mode:1, method:1

Anyone got any ideas?

DirtyRuscoe
    Participant

I’m case anyone’s interested in the future – I fixed the issue.

The game has two HogwartsLegacy.exe files in separate locations. They both get triggered when the game launches – but Vorpx struggles to install the hook helper for the second one.

I copied the hook helper file across to the alternative location and now the game loads up.

And it works alongside the first person camera mod which makes the game a little more playable in fullVR mode.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Nice!

I thought about mentioning this, but when I checked mine, it did not require a hook helper there. But I’m glad it made it work for you.

Typically all Unreal 4 games launch with a shipping.exe in that x64 folder you mentioned, but Hogwarts made an exception and named the exes the same.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!