Hope for a one day fix to G3D shadows?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Hope for a one day fix to G3D shadows?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    Just curious as to the state of the shadows issue in G3D. Is this something which is unfixable due to technical reasons, or is there hope on the horizon for a fix to this? This would be the only thing in VorpX right now which really annoys me. I would rather play Z3D with shadows than G3D without, but thats such a loss.
    Is it eternally doomed (not to be confused with doom eternal), or on the “todo” list? I know your stock answer is “no promises”, so moving beyond that, I’m just curious as to the state of things.

Cheers!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s what the shader replacement feature that is still planned would be able to handle. Requires individual fixes for every game though, which would mostly be a community task.

I believe I gave you the following reply to basically the same question several times already, so just in case I’m mistaken in that regard: your best way to deal with the matter is not cranking up 3D-Strength above realistic levels. In many cases shadow glitches only become highly annoying when you set the 3D-Strength value higher than it is supposed to be. For official profiles just leave it at (or close to) default. Like many other settings in the vorpX menu this is not a more-is-better setting.

dborosev
    Participant

Yes I asked once before maybe a year ago. Just thought I’d check in on any new developments.
    Good to know there is plans for a future fix!
    Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Don’t get too excited. Even with the shader replacement system reeady (which took a bit of a backseat due to other stuff admittedly) fixing such glitches will require a considerable amount of work per game only doable by people with a high level of shader programming skill. How well this turns out in the end depends entirely on people’s willingness to dedicate time and effort for fixing shaders. Maybe you want to become one of them?

Apart from that tnstead of hoping to get these things fixed for every game out there better follow my advice above and don’t overdo it with the 3D-Strength, as tempting as pulling all sliders to the max might be. That’s really not how most settings in vorpX work. Just like you don’t tune a guitar by applying maximum tension to all strings.

dborosev
    Participant

Will do. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!