Horizon zero dawn – Z depth way off

Homepage Forums Technical Support Horizon zero dawn – Z depth way off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Just started playing the game, and the depth map is way off. I’m in the cave, first scene of the game, and the girls head and shoulders depth are hovering above her quite far. And it almost looks like the whole depth layer,other object included, is off a lot.
    Doesn’t matter what I have the depth set to.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to run the game at 1920×1080 or alternatively try to run it windowed and drag the window size around until things fit. Just discovered this myself earlier today. Not quite sure yet what causes it, but under some circumstances the depth buffer has a different size than the actual rendering. Can’t promise anything yet, but I’ll try to figure out what’s going on tomorrow.

Eychimo
    Participant

No trouble with the game itself, but horizon crashes every time i try to run it with vorpX. You guys have a magic config your not sharing? :)

dborosev
    Participant

@Ralf, thanks I’ll try tonight!

@Eychimo
    , no magic config. Did you try all the usual things? Reboot, make vorpX shortcut, etc etc?

Eychimo
    Participant

Tired every thing i could think of. Even played with different resolutions and monitors. Does the same thing every load. vorpx hooks, I get the message to increase the FOV then Horizon crashes. lol. i even tried turning freesync off in both software and the monitor. I have just run out of ideas. Even tried the alternative hook, game will load but nothing in hmd.

dborosev
    Participant

Just that game eh? Weird. I know the game has overall issues with crashing. Its crashed on me several times. Try some of those fixes ( I think mentioned in the wiki link above) Does it crash always at the same spot?
    Lower all the settings to very low, and try as well.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Eychimo: If you happen to use an Oculus headset, please set vorpX to SteamVR mode in the config app (General page). DX12 Steam games currently don’t work in Oculus native mode due to the Steam overlay getting in the way.

Totally forgot about that. I’ll add an according warning message or something similar to the next update.

dborosev
    Participant

Ahhhh, that would explain why my RDR2 stopped working when you put out the update. It must have reset something??
    I set it to Steam, and it works now. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what it could be.
    Seems a tiny bit jerkier now. Still playable, but slightly noticable. Would this be the cause? I have no idea what it was set on before, but it was fine how it was.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There shouldn’t be any changes regarding RDR2, neither from 20.2.0 to 2.3.0, and definitely not from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1.

If you are in the mood for experimenting, you can try an ini tweak though if you want. DX12 still is pretty much work in progress and thus doesn’t use the normal headset sync system.

If you want you can go to C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX\Devices\Display, open SteamVR.ini with a text editor and under [User] change iDmBufferGrabberSyncDX12 from 1 to 0. That would make DX12 behave like DX9-11 in regard to headset syncing.

Don’t expext this to work though. I never tried it, have no clue whether it works at all and if so, whether it makes anything better or worse.

Make sure to reset it to 1 later. That’s the only tested way to handle DX12.

Would be great if you could share your experience if you dare to try.

dborosev
    Participant

Looks like this wasn’t the cause. It happened while using SteamVR too. Seems random right now, but about 80% of the time, the game will freeze on the loading screens. Seems like something like this was happening to people in the early days if I recall? But I’ll have to do more testing/investigating to figure out whats going on. Used to work flawlessly until the latest VorpX and game updates, but who knows, I’ll see if I can narrow it down.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Ok, thought you were talking about stutter/judder, ‘running jerkier’ sounded more like that to me. Didn’t encounter any loading crashes myself during testing, but I have a hunch. I’ll check more thorough whether I can replicate it, might take a while though.

dborosev
    Participant

Yeah it just seems to happen with VorpX based on small amounts of testing.
    When those images animate during the loading of the actual save, it will lock up quite a bit.

Harakan
    Participant

Was the Z depth issue ever resolved, or are there known issues (and ideally workarounds) or specific in-game settings required for this to work?

I’ve just installed the latest VorpX and getting to use it with HZD for the first time. It seems to run correctly in Immersive or Cinema mode, and looks correct (but flat) if I set the 3D mode to Off, or the ZFrame focus depth to 0. With 3D enabled, I can see chunks that are at different Z depths, but they bear no relation to the actual world – they seem to be large flat areas and don’t move with the view.

VorpX, HZD, Windows, and graphics drivers are all up to date.

Windows 10 21H1, NVidia 980, Oculus Rift CV1.

Harakan
    Participant

Any suggestions at all of something that I could try that might fix this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please reset all game graphics options to default and then make sure to follow the hint displayed by vorpX in the top/left corner of the game window about running the game with common 16:9 resolutions. That should normally fix the issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!